• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

psychedelic album recommendations
Hi everyone, I know the topic of good songs to trip to has come up before. Problem is when I'm tripping I don't want to bother looking through my cd's or youtube to find a track which five minutes later will be over. I end up completely losing my thread. So now that I have some al-lad awaiting my consideration what I'm really looking for is a couple of great albums which can be listened to from start to finish. Some cues for what I'm into: all the classic old electronic/ambient stuff (orbital etc), stranger electronica (BoC, Aphex Twin Autechre) and some of the weirder hip-hop type music coming out nowadays (Flying Lotus).

So can anyone please help me select a album or two which I can focus on? To be honest I've not been keeping up with new music so I'm sure there's some awesome new music out there which I'm unaware of. Please! Help me.
try jean michel jarre

I just dl human don't be angry's album last night onvthe bacj of hearing this tune by them.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F
perhaps not one to listen too when on drugs, a bit skatty imo for that, but by far my fave psychedelic rock band are The 13th Floor Elevators.

ok, i posted a bit quick without taking in the purpose of the thread too much, so maybe Neil Young is a better fit? Harvest LP

Am a big fan of Astral Projection & Infected Mushroom, great for a psych buzz, or any good buzz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imfr3r7z...CD4C7F532E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J3mYaAZ...91C5A4DE53

Else another fav Youtube channel of mine, collection of psytrance vids :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJwC3SIf...8751919B97
Takk by Sigur Ros best khole album of all time
ned - i just wanted a code to go and hav a look but yee hav ruined it now acting like scientolagists with the code...seriously yee say im a prick just take a step back there
you cant beat the old 60s acid rock. anything thing from jefferson airplane might lift you to another level like it does with me

always fly jefferson airways
Long time reader, first time poster... This won't answer your needs at all, sorry :/

Ok, here's my list of my favorite psychedelic and neo-psychedelic bands/albums. Sorry if I spelled anything wrong. I LOVE finding new music and I change my musical preference every couple of months. These last couple of years have produced a TON of psychedelic albums, a few of which feel like the classics (in a good way).

If anybody is interested, I also created a playlist of every psychedelic music video I've come across on youtube.

Psychedelic (60s era)
The Beatles (obviously) Rubber Soul (parts) and beyond (albums) (I can put a list of their most psychedelic songs if you'd like)
Cream - Sunshine of Your Love and White Room are both great (songs)
The Doors - ALL of it (all albums, every fucking one)
The Grateful Dead - American Beauty (album)
Janis Joplin - Summertime (song)
Jimi Hendrix - ALL of it or just the greatest hits (all albums)
Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow (album)
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV (album)
Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (album)
The Velvet Underground & Nico - self titled (album)

Neo-Psychedelic (I listen to a lot more of this, all albums unless it says otherwise)
Tame Impala - Innerspeaker, Lonerism - lives up to the hype. I wish they were playing at T in the Park
Foxygen - We Are The 21st Century Ambassadors, Take The Kids Off Broadway - amazing, feels like it could have come out in the 60s
Goat - World Music - mindblowing, really intense and raw, I'm still blown away by their raw power. They're from Sweden and they're not playing anywhere I can see them, which is terrible
MGMT - Oracular Spectacular - very good psych pop music
Django Django - Django Django - listened to the album while driving around in Vegas on shrooms... amazing, however when tripping it feels a little too refined
Dum Dum Girls - End of Daze (EP) - amazing vocals and very mellow, laid back vibe
Father John Misty - Fear Fun - a great album, he came up with most of it while driving around in a van with tons of shrooms. you can tell.
Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Unknown Mortal Orchestra, II - Feels very raw. almost like the white stripes style of bare bones. Not my favorite, but I appreciate it quite a bit.
Yeasayer - All Hour Cymbals, Odd Blood - They're amazing live, their music video for Ambling Alp is one of my favorite and they're very unique. I would HIGHLY recommend. Their third album is terrible though.
Alt-J - An Awesome Wave - more psychedelic folk, amazing album, not quite as good of a vibe for tripping as the others listed
Morning Teleportation - Expanding Anyway - produced by the leader singer of Modest Mouse, the music video more the song the albums named after is mind blowing
Still Corners - Creates of an Hour, Strange Pleasures - Just found these today and I love it so far. I'm a sucker for female vocals
Jim James - Regions of Light and Sound of God - haven't listened to this one too much, but it's brilliant so far, the song Dear One is fucking great
Moon Duo - Circles - solid album, still haven't listened too much
Portugal. The Man - In The Mountain, In The Cloud - just started listening… no opinion yet.
Wavves - King of the Beach, Afraid of Heights - feels like California on the beach with no worries and not a care in the world (cliche, but just give Post Acid, Idiot, or Green Eyes a listen)
Radiohead - Lotus Flower (song) - very psychedelic feel.

Everyone seems to love Animal Collective, but I'm not really a fan. Although their song We Tigers really fucked with me during a trip.
The Division Bell by Pink Floyd is, in my humble opinion, THE album to listen to when tripping.

But it all depends what your individual groove is Happy
“It doesn't matter who you vote for, the Government always gets in” - Graffiti slogan

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter