• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Windows 10 is basically spyware and a backdoor for NSA/GCHQ/LE
It couldn't have been that long ago Microsoft were berating google for reading our emails and invading our privacy to make themselves more money. We at Microsoft don't do that, they said.
I wonder what happened. Was it if we can't beat em join em.
What happened is they realised Google made a lot of money harvesting data and wanted in on the fun.

Microsoft's revenue from their consumer business mostly comes from licensing Windows to OEMs. So when you buy a new laptop, the company that made it paid Microsoft to put Windows on there. But in recent years the PC market has taken a complete nosedive. Sales of desktops and laptops plummeted as sales of tablets and smartphones increased. A lot of people are now using tablets instead of laptops, or they keep a laptop around but don't see the need to upgrade it because they mostly use their tablet or smartphone.

So Microsoft lost a lot of money in this transition. They've failed to crack and smartphone and tablet markets so they're just losing customers to Apple and Google.

What do they do to bring their revenue stream back up then? They realise they can suck extra money out of their existing customers by giving them a free upgrade to the new Windows, hyping it up with advertising, then setting it up to collect a lot of extra data they can monetise in a similar way to Google.

At the same time they also updated Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1 with new software that sends extra data about how you use those off to Microsoft HQ as well.

I can only guess the plan is they claw back that extra money while they work on building up their smartphone and tablet business more. But in reality they're clawing whatever money they can from the customers that still exist before they, too, disappear, because Microsoft smartphones and tablets haven't exactly taken off.

TL;DR: Microsoft's consumer business is dying and they're desperate to keep the money coming in any way they can.
Who the fuck is Psychoactive Substances Bill and why is he taking all my drugs?
hmm, so what should we do to protect our privacy then? I was planning on buying a new laptop..
To live outside the law, you must be honest - Bob Dylan    

As soon as you get your new laptop, put Linux Mint on it.
Who the fuck is Psychoactive Substances Bill and why is he taking all my drugs?
Ok thanks
To live outside the law, you must be honest - Bob Dylan    

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/...-tracking/

Almost sounds like a challenge, but Linux exists so who cares.
Had a windows phone biggest incompatible piece of shit I ever got. Thank god I got it for dirt cheap if I changed service providers.
No good apps and not even really good for syncing with your windows laptop.
love the world and it will love you back. chin
(30-07-2015, 10:28 AM)WeAreScientists Wrote: http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2015/07/29/wind-nos/

TL;DR: Pretty much everything you do on Windows 10 is synced back up to your Microsoft account, turning those "features" off is difficult or in some cases impossible, and MS's privacy policy allows them to do anything they want with your data and disclose it to anyone.

If you want privacy install Linux instead of upgrading to Windows 10.

I would like linux on my machine but I am a dummy tech wise and need someone to walk me through removign windows 10 and installing linux without ruining my computer.
I am behind a vpn a lot of the time though.
MH&drug services working  2 decide way frwrd. New Borderline Personality Diagnosis. They can only script a limited amount and told me to stay safe in the meantime. Sold my diclaz cos too nervous to hav so many in flat, just a months supply, and buy each mth.
You could run Linux from a disk to try it out if you wanted to without installing it.
Download and burn your chosen version of Linux to cd/dvd or usb. Then just boot straight from the linux disk instead of windows.
You can try out a few versions like this before formating your drive and installing linux.
I am using lubuntu on a virtual machine at the moment. Very lightweight and well laid out

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter