• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What could Brexit mean for drug laws?
Doesn't Brexit mean that we re-write all the drug legislation for the uk?
No... we don't use EU law, we use the Misuse of Drugs Act.

Our drug laws still work* without the EU.  I don't believe any countries in the EU share a drug law 1:1 with any other countries.

*Just because something works does not mean it is effective.  Things can 'work' and still not be the most logical way to achieve something.
Tell me if i'm wrong but didn't we succumb to EU legislation, therefore aren't we technically lawless now?
UK drug laws 'work' in the same sense that bicycle seats work their way up people's backsides.
We're only truly alive when we're dancing.
(12-04-2017, 10:09 PM)vjvishnu Wrote: Tell me if i'm wrong but didn't we succumb to EU legislation, therefore aren't we technically lawless now?

You're wrong.

Firstly, we're still part of the EU until the withdrawal process under article 50 has completed (up to two years for an agreement with the Union to come into force), so EU law continues to pertain until that point.

Secondly, while many UK laws do derive from or rely on EU law, much does not.

Thirdly, the so-called Great Repeal Bill which is likely to be passed later this year simply copies great swathes of European law into UK law (with effect from the date the future withdrawal agreement comes into force) providing continuity of existing law until such time as specific statutes are repealed by parliament.
(13-04-2017, 02:14 AM)niamh Wrote: Firstly, we're still part of the EU until the withdrawal process under article 50 has completed (up to two years for an agreement with the Union to come into force), so EU law continues to pertain until that point.

Are you sure that's true, I thought that we technically left the EU the minute article 50 was triggered... ...making us currently technically lawless... :)
(20 minutes ago)vjvishnu Wrote:
(Thursday, 13th April, 2017, 03:14)niamh Wrote: Firstly, we're still part of the EU until the withdrawal process under article 50 has completed (up to two years for an agreement with the Union to come into force), so EU law continues to pertain until that point.

Are you sure that's true, I thought that we technically left the EU the minute article 50 was triggered... ...making us currently technically lawless... :)

1. Any Member State may decide to withdraw from the Union in accordance with its own constitutional requirements.

2. A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament.

3. The Treaties shall cease to apply to the State in question from the date of entry into force of the withdrawal agreement or, failing that, two years after the notification referred to in paragraph 2, unless the European Council, in agreement with the Member State concerned, unanimously decides to extend this period.

4. For the purposes of paragraphs 2 and 3, the member of the European Council or of the Council representing the withdrawing Member State shall not participate in the discussions of the European Council or Council or in decisions concerning it.

A qualified majority shall be defined in accordance with Article 238(3)(b) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.

5. If a State which has withdrawn from the Union asks to rejoin, its request shall be subject to the procedure referred to in Article 49.
EU was beinjg used to cripple us in some cases.. here is another of the many reasons I voted out. This video went proper viral so I'm not the only one: https://www.facebook.com/vapouriumisback...590654101/

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter