• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Warning: "Red Superman" cstasy pills with high dose of PMMA in Europe (again)
You may remember red superman pills containing high levels of PMMA (para-methoxymethamphetamine) being in the news in late 2014/early 2015 when they were the cause of a number of deaths. Those pills were initially detected in Europe but showed up in the UK not too long afterwards.

The Trimbos Institute, which runs the Netherland's pill testing service DIMS (Drug Information and Monitoring Service) is reporting finding a red superman pill in the last couple of weeks that, as before, has a high level of PMMA. PMMA has a much slower onset than MDMA and has a tendency to cause dangerous increases in body temperature ad heart rate - the risks of serious harm increase significantly if users redose thinking the delay in onset is a weak pill, but even without redosing the effects can be severe.

[Image: 7d9ec633-c51f-4b9c-b921-5024fa615912.jpg&h=&w=270]
(The pills that tested positive for high levels of PMMA resemble this one - image taken from the Trimbos Institute report)

Report in the Independent.

Google Translate of the original story at the Trimbos Institute]Google Translate of the original story at the Trimbos Institute
I dnt understand y people would do this when they can just get pure mdma to save that risk
(29-10-2016, 04:20 PM)Smokemary Wrote: I dnt understand y people would do this when they can just get pure mdma to save that risk

Users don't seek out dangerous pills, but they're rare enough that many people don't bother with things like reagent testing. So things like this slip under the radar. Someone probably had a load of these and was waiting until people had forgotten about them to start selling them again.

Here's Dr David Nutt explaining some of the background in the Guardian.

Or, TL;DR: Banning drugs makes them very profitable. So ruthless people get involved in making and selling drugs; they don't want to kill people, it's just that people dying doesn't matter because money.
There is the precursor argument but MDMA has not been hard to get hold of for ages as far as I can see yet PMA/PMMA come up regular as clockwork which does make me think there was a stockpile of this crap just gets pulled out for a press when everthings been ticking over with the real stuff and the coast looks clear. I mean if you want to do some rip off pills you could just put a tenth of a grain of d-amphetamine or some high potency rc in or something - I don’t know how easy peasy the precusor and synth is (likely not hard) but otherwise there doesn’t seem any clear reason to synth PMA commerically - it’s not even very clear if the effect are much like MDMA - have read much more trippy but reports with proper id’ed PMA are rare as rocking horse shite except when it goes wrong and commerially it’s a product which without skulduggery and misrepresentation the customer runs a mile from
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"
(29-10-2016, 04:20 PM)Smokemary Wrote: I dnt understand y people would do this when they can just get pure mdma to save that risk

Because a lot of people don't buy drugs from the internet, or have connections with an established salesperson who has pure MDMA doing 24/7 delivery. So when a shifty looking guy outside a club opens his trench coat and reveals a dazzling display of pills pressed to look like commonly known logos and says they're ecstasy, people will buy them.
(29-10-2016, 07:02 PM)Xochipilli Wrote: There is the precursor argument but MDMA has not been hard to get hold of for ages as far as I can see yet PMA/PMMA come up regular as clockwork which does make me think there was a stockpile of this crap just gets pulled out for a press when everthings been ticking over with the real stuff and the coast looks clear. I mean if you want to do some rip off pills you could just put a tenth of a grain of d-amphetamine or some high potency rc in or something - I don’t know how easy peasy the precusor and synth is (likely not hard) but otherwise there doesn’t seem any clear reason to synth PMA commerically - it’s not even very clear if the effect are much like MDMA - have read much more trippy but reports with proper id’ed PMA are rare as rocking horse shite except when it goes wrong and commerially it’s a product which without skulduggery and misrepresentation the customer runs a mile from

I'm not sure where I heard this - it might have been one of those BBC3 documentaries about drugs - but I recall it being suggested that when a lab is first set up, rather than running up a test batch of MDMA, a test batch of PMMA - exactly the same process, just using anethole rather than safrole as the substrate - is a cheap way of validating the pipeline is functioning as expected. I would guess a lot of labs would simply throw the PMMA away (you don't show off your mad skillz making lego pills which stack like real legos and then risk your reputation slinging dangerous crap), but some might find its way to the supply chain.
(30-10-2016, 05:03 AM)Glitterama Wrote:

Because a lot of people don't buy drugs from the internet, or have connections with an established salesperson who has pure MDMA doing 24/7 delivery. So when a shifty looking guy outside a club opens his trench coat and reveals a dazzling display of pills pressed to look like commonly known logos and says they're ecstasy, people will buy them.

That's my point though, if you can not get good stuff or have a supplier that you can trust then why bother just buying any random pill that some dude has probably just pulled from his arse. That's what's wrong people do not care what they take and that's why so many people cheat it and sell shit just to make money. Plus if you take e's you will find someone with mdma or who can get it just keep trying and dnt risk random shit in the mean time
(30-10-2016, 04:12 PM)Smokemary Wrote:
(30-10-2016, 05:03 AM)Glitterama Wrote:

That's my point though, if you can not get good stuff or have a supplier that you can trust then why bother just buying any random pill that some dude has probably just pulled from his arse. That's what's wrong people do not care what they take and that's why so many people cheat it and sell shit just to make money. Plus if you take e's you will find someone with mdma or who can get it just keep trying and dnt risk random shit in the mean time

Consider that the rate of PMA/PMMA pills is around 0.8% based on this - which uses reports of tested pills 2006-2014. However, PMA/PMAA only started causing deats in the last 3 of those years, so (for the sake of simplicity) we'll assume that PMA-dosed pills only existed in 3/8 years. That increases the prevalece to 2.4% or about 1 in 40.

If an average user uses 1 pill each time and does it every couple of months then they would encounter a PMA/PMMA pill on average every six and a half years. Even someone shoving a couple of pills down their throat every weekend would go a couple of month between sightings.

That's not vanishingly rare, but it's rare enough that lots of people get away with using random, untested pills without coming to any harm - and so do their friends. You have to remember that most people aren't obsessive drug geeks  or even that interested in drugs. That's not a character flaw - I like drinking wine occasionally and I know what I like, but my eyes glaze over when people start talking about varietals  and 'terroir'. If it tastes nice, that's good enough for me. Most people who use drugs like how they feel on drugs, but aren't interested in knowing every last detail. I feel smart when I pronounce Pouilly-Fuissé properly - they probably feel smart knowing that MDMA is methylenedioxymethamphetamine. There's too much stuff in the world to be an expert on everything
Well interesting idea about the lab test.
As for supply chains - as it works a source is trusted until something like this turs up - that isn’t to say there aren’t trustworthy sources (decent people exist and yes something like DN sources score much better) but in other areas you can hardly check people out in the way you can a source of a product with a trade body or regulation - even the important everyday items like medicines can fail or have recalls or as with food individuals can act illegally despite tight regulation. 
I suspect there aren’t that many who don’t care to the point of risking death. More they aren’t as savvy or knowing as us or have put more trust in 'trusted sources' than those sources warranted. People are often naive or impetuous which is probably somewhat different to not caring and something it is an on going battle of education to try to help (not to mention supporting law reform)
Personally I would put the blame more at the feet of those at a rather more sophisticated end of the trade who don’t care enough about others not to exploit the situation illegality brings in regard to one being able to push out a dangerous product and to avoid accountability.
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"
The press has been around years also.. most popular presses tend to get copied by less reputable people in the end.

You will see many 200mg~ reports of very similar looking pills that only contained MDMA if you look.

Anybody who takes anything that has not been tested is an idiot, though these PMMA pills are very rare in the grand scheme of things.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter