• 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average

Tramadol as an antidepressant?!?
As a long time user of Tramadol for a chronic health condition I feel confident to say that it would be a terrible choice as an antidepressant.

For the first year or two it gave me a huge mood lift, but it eventually wore off entirely and now can make me very irritable.

I also found it to be initially highly energising and I could be very productive, with way more stamina than I could normally muster.

After two years this has also completely gone and now I find Tramadol makes me so drowsy I cannot function properly on it. My eyes keep shutting.

Have managed to avoid addiction by saving it only for the worst days, but the very many hellish accounts of other people's tram addiction would make this a poor choice for an antidepressant unless it was only used for a very short time; though tolerance and withdrawal effects develop very quickly, long before addiction gets it's claws into you.

I am aware that the Pharmaceutical companies are looking at novel synthetic opioids as AD treatments, but personally I would be very wary of them.
It is in the companies financial interest to create addictive drugs and they have proven this time and time again.
A certain subgroup off people have a extremely beneficial response to tramadol, it has a extremely complex mechanism of action, i beleive it can definatly be used as a antidepressant as long as its combined with something like memantine for the prevention of tolerance, with regards to withdrawals i found that just a tablet of otc codeine completely took that away so i dont see that as a big deal, also nmda antagonists, ultra low dose naltrexone and other interventions can take care of the withdrawals.
It would make an excellent antidepressant however it's too good to be true it is extremely addictive due to the synthetic opioid in it. I have never known europhoria like tram Diaz and morphine mixed together .Back to the trammies they are so easy to keep redosing every hour I lost three years of my life to these would sit in front of Netflix and watch hours upon hours of telly. If you can control yourself and take one then go for it use them as anti depressant.
(09-04-2016, 12:57 PM)Browno Wrote: It would make an excellent antidepressant however it's too good to be true it is extremely addictive due to the synthetic opioid in it. I have never known europhoria like tram Diaz and morphine mixed together .Back to the trammies they are so easy to keep redosing every hour I lost three years of my life to these would sit in front of Netflix and watch hours upon hours of telly. If you can control yourself and take one then go for it use them as anti depressant.
Opiates can have therapeutic potential, however if you cant control yourself then the addition of naltrexone can be the solution here, basicly youd block just enough opiate receptors so theres a ceiling effect with the opiate you use, you cant get higher then therapeutic doses as there arent anymore opiate receptors available to activate to get a high.
An opioid that's also a serotonin releaser? Almost sounds like a purpose-made addictive drug...
(19-01-2017, 07:39 PM)Ozle Wrote: An opioid that's also a serotonin releaser? Almost sounds like a purpose-made addictive drug...

It's dopamine release that generally results in addiction and compulsive use - serotonin release will reduce the addictiveness of dopamine releasers.
(19-01-2017, 08:39 PM)niamh Wrote:
(19-01-2017, 07:39 PM)Ozle Wrote: An opioid that's also a serotonin releaser? Almost sounds like a purpose-made addictive drug...

It's dopamine release that generally results in addiction and compulsive use - serotonin release will reduce the addictiveness of dopamine releasers.

Very good point, and I should rephrase my statement. It sounds like a candidate for a recreational drug, though not necessarily as addictive as I'd assumed. My impression is that serotonin release increases the recreational effects of dopamine releasers, but also limits their addictive potential through their extremely unpleasant after-effects and quickly diminishing returns (5-HT depletion, maybe?). MDMA is a good example; it gives a high that people say is unmatched by anything else (supposedly not even meth), but is practically impossible to use daily because the main effects quickly fade and the comedown causes crippling depression and anhedonia. Also, MDAI was quite popular and seems to produce similar empathogenic, pro-social and mood-raising effects - albeit without the rush and euphoria of the dopaminergic stimulant aspects of MDMA (and possibly fewer of its psychedelic effects, though I don't know enough about it to say) - as well as similar afterglow and ensuing severe depression after it wears off.

Pure dopamine or DA/NE releasers seem to be quite different, yet in some ways even stranger; they often cause compulsive redosing, even of a substance that doesn't (or no longer) causes any real subjective feeling of pleasure or euphoria.

Neurotransmitters are strange things....

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter