• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

This Is What Getting Chills From Music Says About Your Brain
https://academic.oup.com/scan/article/11/6/884/2223400

Quote:As it turns out, getting chills from music is not as common as you might think. Researchers from USC released a study that suggests that only about 50 percent of people feel things like shivers, a lump in their throat, and goosebumps when they listen to music. What's more, those people might have very different brains than those who don't experience those feelings.

First, they gathered 20 people and had them listen to a selection of their favorite songs. Whenever they felt a chill, they pressed a button. All 20 were then given MRI scans — and the 10 that reported reactions were obvious standouts. Their brains turned out to have a much higher volume of fibers connecting their auditory cortex to the areas that process emotion.

More fibers mean that those two areas of the brain can communicate much more effectively. It also means that, because their emotional processing centers are beefier, those people are more able to experience extreme emotions.

Source
Interesting stuff. Without being too nerdy, the figures in the article aren't quite right. The 20 were selected from a larger survey of 237 as the 10 most and least responsive to music, so the 50% shiver rate in the group of 20 is by design. 

I have noticed that people who don't appear to get much out of music seem a bit emotionally blunted. And boring. Poor things. It's also interesting that musical training didn't matter a great deal. As it says at the end of the study, music seems to bypass analytical and culture-specific parts of the brain and appeals directly to social and emotional centres. 

Amongst many others, The Orb's Little Fluffy Clouds has the hairs standing up on the back of my neck every single time. I think I'd be quite sad if that ever stopped happening, or I wasn't moved by music generally.
'If you're one of those who can, make certain that you do."
It's good to be nerdy, and you're quite right! Nevertheless the findings are mildly interesting, despite the poorly worded article.

I was always prone to goosebumps, but since going sober from RC's I've acquired a very intense emotional response to music, beyond simply chills.

It could be fairly enlightening to study what effect long term stimulant and empathogen use would have on the connection between the auditory cortex and the areas associated with emotional processing.
Yeah, It's definitely an interested read but idk what I personally think of it all.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter