• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Honest Drug Book & The UKCR Forum
Just saw this and just ordered the Color edition..

Thank you!!!
If you'd let me purchase it in PDF format then I'd definitely buy it. It's 2018, you can't seriously believe that selling a book exclusively in dead-tree format (especially one mostly targeted toward an online community) is an effective strategy today? 0.o
Hi Ozle, 

6dream can speak for himself and no doubt will at some point, but here's my contribution. There are format and rights issues here which likely aren't in the control of the author, and a standard PDF would be all over torrent sites within hours. Clearly there is substantial time and effort invested in the book's creation.

With regards to electronic versions, the kindle edition comes free with a subscription to their unlimited service at 8 quid a month, making it cheaper than hard copy over that period. You don't need a kindle reader device to view the book using this service. Whilst I take your point, and do myself have issues with the way the once-open mobi format was acquired and is being used by Amazon, there's unlikely to be a DRM-free version released for obviously reasons.

Kindle unlimited is one of those try for 30 days for free deals and you can cancel whenever you like, if you're with me.
'The trouble is, we think we have time."
There is in fact a Kindle edition:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honest-Drug-Boo...076HQTN6R/

I should add that I didn't have that format in mind when I wrote it, so the page content is contextually pitched at normal paperback size, including image placement. I do get that some people prefer digital but I personally like my books to be physical, maybe because I have spent too much of my life online or perhaps because I am old fashioned (or just old). :-)
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ Terence McKenna
(01-10-2018, 02:52 PM)AiwassATeenageKeyframe Wrote: 6dream can speak for himself and no doubt will at some point, but here's my contribution. There are format and rights issues here which likely aren't in the control of the author
I'm a little confused what you mean by rights issues? I'm assuming you're talking about citations of existing works, or contributions by other people, who would all have to be contacted and agree to a separate license for electronic distribution?

(01-10-2018, 02:52 PM)AiwassATeenageKeyframe Wrote: Whilst I take your point, and do myself have issues with the way the once-open mobi format was acquired and is being used by Amazon, there's unlikely to be a DRM-free version released for obviously reasons.
I wasn't expecting it to be DRM-free. I'm no lover of DRM either, but I'm willing to make a concession if it can help encourage smaller authors and allow them to reach a wider audience (especially since today's DRM systems are generally far less shitty than what we had to deal with 10-15 years ago).

(01-10-2018, 04:24 PM)6dream Wrote: There is in fact a Kindle edition:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honest-Drug-Boo...076HQTN6R/

I should add that I didn't have that format in mind when I wrote it, so the page content is contextually pitched at normal paperback size, including image placement. I do get that some people prefer digital but I personally like my books to be physical, maybe because I have spent too much of my life online or perhaps because I am old fashioned (or just old). :-)
Thanks. I must have missed it when I looked before.
(09-10-2018, 03:03 AM)Ozle Wrote:
(01-10-2018, 02:52 PM)AiwassATeenageKeyframe Wrote: Whilst I take your point, and do myself have issues with the way the once-open mobi format was acquired and is being used by Amazon, there's unlikely to be a DRM-free version released for obviously reasons.
I wasn't expecting it to be DRM-free. I'm no lover of DRM either, but I'm willing to make a concession if it can help encourage smaller authors and allow them to reach a wider audience (especially since today's DRM systems are generally far less shitty than what we had to deal with 10-15 years ago).

different market area, but Denuvo (technically anti-tamper, not DRM, but still) has shit all over AAA titles since its inception a few years ago.  It's not as bad as Sony putting malware on CD's but it's horrendous and in some implementations introduces issues that can render games unplayable, especially for legitimate owners.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter