• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Honest Drug Book & The UKCR Forum
Waits in trepidation...  blink

Note the references to this esteemed forum.  :-)
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ Terence McKenna
I got my copy of The Honest Drug book yesterday (thank you 6dream!). With its encyclopedic format, it lends itself very well to casual browsing, so I've been dipping in and out, reading various entries. As someone heavily involved in harm reduction efforts over the past few years, the preface with safety information obviously caught my attention - and is really good. This section is available on the website too. It's really positive seeing this kind of information in print.

Most of the rest of the book is a tour of many substances with trip reports on the subjective experiences. It reminds me of Daniel Trachsel's Psychedelische Chemie: Aspekte Psychoaktiver Moleküle (Psychedelic Chemistry: Aspects of Psychoactive Molecules), which also features experience reports (though from a wide group of individual). In many ways it's a very personal book, documenting the author's experience with a very wide array of drugs, but I think what makes this really interesting is that it embodies an approach to drug use that should be very familiar to people who have been around the online research chemicals subculture for a while. It's the open, personally-directed exploration with experiences being shared, not as the definitive truth, but as a reference point in the array of experiences that people have.

Recently, while talking about other online harm reduction efforts, I described what we used to here as "model[ling] a culture of responsible drug use" - and that's exactly what 6dream has done in The Honest Drug Book. In other words, it's a book about drugs that comes out of our own culture, where drug use is something to be handled carefully, but without shame. It recognises the value of exploration. It's quietly revolutionary without any hint of sensationalism.

Disclosure: I received my copy of the book for free, but with no expectation of any kind of review. But I wanted to say something about it here because it's really good. I still have plenty more reading to do, so it's not being shelved yet, but it absolutely deserves a place in my bookcase next to the Trachsel and Shulgins.
cant wait to stick some cash in my account and order a copy :)
regards
GN
They say pain is relative, it certainly feels like a relative of mine... One that I can't get rid of.
Thanks Niamh. Appreciated: it means much. I lived and breathed it for a long time, tentatively moving forwards little by little. 

The cultural point is a very good one. It is very much grounded in our culture, in fact that of this specific forum. This is where I matured as a user. In a sense everyone here is in it, as my modus operandi and safety-first approach was moulded by this community. 

My mission now is to get it to those who really do need to embrace this culture, and that isn't easy to do. It is a little bit close to naked reality for the mainstream media to cover, so I expect no Guardian or Telegraph type reviews, and no public figure to plug it or even to refer to its existence. Even the self-proclaimed alternative channels seem to baulk, before grasping what it is actually about. I don't see any grand conspiracy here, it is simply that all these parties have been culturally conditioned, even if they don't realise it. It is outside their bubble, as are those it seeks to help.

It's best chance to make a real difference is going to be word of mouth, personal recommendations by those who know what they are talking about, or some sort of viral activity. 

Back to the book itself, "model[ling] a culture of responsible drug use" is the nail on the head. I think that I state in several places that in itself it won't deliver safety: that is the responsibility of the user. What it will provide is information, a safety-first approach, indeed, a culture, in which the user is armed to better look after him/herself and mitigate risk. It was always intended to put safety on the radar, and better still, at the top of the list of priorities. I didn't send it off until I believed that it did this.

It will be very interesting to see how the good ship DMTrott (an obvious nom de plume) sails forward from here.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ Terence McKenna
Got my copy being sent to me tomorrow before I review it for promo on sesh safety, but seems I won't need to do much as judging from niamh's response I can expect to give positive feed-back, the guy who wrote it (hi btw) is really nice awell, so will update when I've read it (:
I think I'm gonna have to grab a copy of that coffee-table edition soon.  Looks very interesting and the current reception is encouraging.
Always thought you had interesting points to make on the forum but no idea this was what you were pursuing. Hope to get around to reading it and it will be good to here what someone thought of Combretum Quadrangulare. Did you try it S.Asia or pre-ban via one of the few vendors who stock it? Good luck with the book.
(1 hour ago)acetlyblue Wrote: Always thought you had interesting points to make on the forum but no idea this was what you were pursuing. Hope to get around to reading it and it will be good to here what someone thought of Combretum Quadrangulare. Did you try it S.Asia or pre-ban via one of the few vendors who stock it? Good luck with the book.

Yes, that one was imported via a UK vendor, circa 2015 off the top of my head. I did sample a few botanicals in S.Asia though, not all going according to  plan.  I hope you enjoy it when you read it. :-)

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter