• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

The HipHop Thread
time to break my silence on this very important topic...

the early to mid 90's were an amazing period for music, soulful house (kenny dope got in the charts that says it all), jungle (anybody here go to carnival '94?)

and of course hip hop...

93 /94 hip hop was going through a renaissance...

3 tracks i clearly remember as directly getting me into hip hop (i remember taping all 3 on the same night on kiss FM which at the time was a credible station) and represent the era perfectly are:

his west coast style was overshadowed by "doggystyle" so never got the recognition, but heads knew...

my favourite song from my favourite album by my favourite group...

Should need no introduction... a stone cold classic from day 1, i can still listen to this and here something new in it... half man half amazing...

their respective albums all still sound great...

the domino album has aged a bit but still worth a spin... quest and nas unsurpassed...

a blinding documentary about gangs in the south bronx... a fascinating look at the place and social conditions that hip hop came from... ch-ch-check it out...

ok in no particular order... some more from this era that have stood the test of time... i've got most of these on vinyl...

the irony is that at the time all this heavy material was coming out, hip hop was not taken seriously by the media or music press (at the time run by middle aged white rockers)... it still wasnt considered legitimate as an art... still struggling with the "just isnt music" tag... they didnt understand sampling as an art form... didnt appreciate skills...

Blankets screw you up. Just say no.
This thread needs more writers...
Hood Hippy word
I'm only a dabbler but I like alternatives like MF DOOM and the like currently. More interesting to me than the gangsta genre though I used to like that too, Wu-Tang remains a favourite, plus their side projects. For a breath of fresh air I like a bit of positivity and feel-good lyrics like you get from Jurassic 5 and the Beasties. Anyway I'll have to go through this thread properly to see if I can find any new favourites.
(06-06-2014, 11:07 PM)Tizzy Wrote: This thread needs more writers...

no... leave it to me.

okay, so let's take a look at what was going on in the UK...

Guttersnypes, Judge me not... the sickest flow... EVER.

London Posse... chatting cockney patois since the 80's... put ragga with hip hop in a way that the yanks never could...

produced by IG culture who also takes the mic for a verse...

back to the states and another from the west coast...

Scratch
. Documentary showing the history of hiphop with main focus on the DJs who started it all.
"To fall in hell or soar angelic you need a pinch of psychedelic".
Humphry Osmond to Aldous Huxley (in a book)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxGqcCeV3qk

One of the single best UKHH tracks to ever be concieved. Manaman lays WASTE to the beat.

in conjunction with the function...

travel as I unravel the bait..

"To fall in hell or soar angelic you need a pinch of psychedelic".
Humphry Osmond to Aldous Huxley (in a book)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxGqcCeV3qk
(07-06-2014, 09:37 AM)SteveBrule44 Wrote: I'm only a dabbler but I like alternatives like MF DOOM and the like currently. More interesting to me than the gangsta genre though I used to like that too, Wu-Tang remains a favourite, plus their side projects. For a breath of fresh air I like a bit of positivity and feel-good lyrics like you get from Jurassic 5 and the Beasties. Anyway I'll have to go through this thread properly to see if I can find any new favourites.

Sene - beautiful ugly is a good album, not too violent

King Just - Mystics of the God, my favourite wu-tang affiliate

(10-06-2014, 04:41 PM)ralhar Wrote:
(06-06-2014, 11:07 PM)Tizzy Wrote: This thread needs more writers...

no... leave it to me.

okay, so let's take a look at what was going on in the UK...

London Posse... chatting cockney patois since the 80's... put ragga with hip hop in a way that the yanks never could...

_ yeah haven't seen this or forgot, it's like a foundation for how the UK scene is today.. fuckin rude boys

back to the states and another from the west coast...

nice my reply...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYDiPNILHt0

I would add more vids but there are whole channels on youtube dedicated to classics eg.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DiggindCratez/videos

and Tiz I would post graff pics but there are sites like 12ozprophet and art-crimes so I don't see the point.

peace

and this one vid per post is fuckin retarded.

UK represent
Don't want regrets, going to try my best
But I'm only a man doing what I can
And I'll go forth with these words in my hand, in my hand.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter