• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stone Roses at Heaton Park
I've not long come back from seeing the Stone Roses this weekend at Heaton Park. They didn't embarrass themselves like some people feared. A bunch of great musicians fronted by a bloke who can't sing. The music press love them, but what do you think? Have you seen them this weekend? What did you think? Or are you thinking "the who roses?" Leave your thoughts and comments here.
Alcohol: the cause of - and solution - to all of life's problems
Band full of talent fronted by a total wanker.

His shit swaggering arsehole act has been copied by every generic "indie" band in the last twenty years.

I listened to them a lot as a teen and really want to like them now, but I can't kick this nagging feeling that they're responsible for the existence of Kasabian :s
That is hardly their fault though. Kasabian plagiarise as much as any of these dull guitar driven alt/rock/pop MOR chart pleasing moneymakers do.

Look at that Goawaysis bloke's swagger; he stole it from Ian Brown, much as he pilfered his singing style from both Lennon and Rotten. It is a compliment of sorts, albeit misguided and lame.

I was never a fan of the Stone Roses but actually quite like Ian Brown and think Music of the Spheres was very good.

As for the current incarnation though, I wouldn't go and see them if you stuffed me in a groupie-filled limo with AAA passes.
[Image: qn45rt_th.gif]

Please read the site rules HERE

(01-07-2012, 11:14 PM)Feed Wrote: I was never a fan of the Stone Roses but actually quite like Ian Brown and think Music of the Spheres was very good.

Same here.
FEAR is probably one of the best songs since 2000
https://drug.cafe Encrypted Messaging & Chat Rooms
https://forum.drug.cafe Forum
[Image: 3ANSKL2.png]

Need to e-mail me?
Have never been a massive fan of Brown's solo work but Saying that 'solarised' is a cracking album with 'one way ticket to paradise' the stand out track.

Seeing them play live again made me fully realise that Reni is the heart and soul of the band, the glue that holds them together. Some of his drumming on Friday night was out of this world.
One of the more worthwhile reunions and im sure it was a good gig, used to listen to them and still like some of their songs, being a drummer myself i agree about reni's drumming, his fluid and funky style particularly on fools gold has always impressed me.
(01-07-2012, 11:14 PM)Feed Wrote: That is hardly their fault though. Kasabian plagiarise as much as any of these dull guitar driven alt/rock/pop MOR chart pleasing moneymakers do.

Look at that Goawaysis bloke's swagger; he stole it from Ian Brown, much as he pilfered his singing style from both Lennon and Rotten. It is a compliment of sorts, albeit misguided and lame.

I was never a fan of the Stone Roses but actually quite like Ian Brown and think Music of the Spheres was very good.

As for the current incarnation though, I wouldn't go and see them if you stuffed me in a groupie-filled limo with AAA passes.

I'm going to disagree with you here I think many bands are "influenced" by thier personal heroes but I would say Kasabian songs are very personal and indeed influenced by heave forays into drugs and what they drew out of it. I have been a fan of them for quite some years and I have yet to see a live band that can rouse a crowd like they do, ok I'm not hugely experienced with live music coming into it a bit later in life and I will agree there are many more bands that would claim prizes in individuality and expression But Kasabian appeal to a hugely diverse age range type of person and are massively succesful plus im still hoping for a threes up at some point with Tom and Sergio....:D
[Image: 6wC70Pw.png]

I'm agreeing with Blodwyn here. Kasabian will obviously have their influences but I have seen them twice live and they were fantastic. They do connect to their audience and seem genuinely to want to give a great performance.
(02-07-2012, 05:26 PM)Crudmeister Wrote: I'm agreeing with Blodwyn here. Kasabian will obviously have their influences but I have seen them twice live and they were fantastic. They do connect to their audience and seem genuinely to want to give a great performance.
Saw them in Cardiff doing West Ryder a pivotal moment in my life as far as live music was concerned then twice last year Cardiff and Birmingham. In the West Ryder Gig the lights came on after the encore and the stewards literally had to throw people out I remember the streets of Cardiff echoing LSF.....God awesome....
[Image: 6wC70Pw.png]

(02-07-2012, 05:35 PM)Blodwyn Wrote: [quote='Crudmeister' pid='8194' dateline='1341249985']
I'm agreeing with Blodwyn here. Kasabian will obviously have their influences but I have seen them twice live and they were fantastic. They do connect to their audience and seem genuinely to want to give a great performance.
Saw them in Cardiff doing West Ryder a pivotal moment in my life as far as live music was concerned then twice last year Cardiff and Birmingham. In the West Ryder Gig the lights came on after the encore and the stewards literally had to throw people out I remember the streets of Cardiff echoing LSF.....God awesome....
[/quot

Sometimes it difficult to identify the 'it' in "they've got it" but I think Kasabian have something that sets them apart from many other bands. Maybe it's because, after all that said and done, they ars still a bunch of lads from Leicester.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter