• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Spirituality
Oh yeah I've been to Tiratna a couple of times, nice people. I'm kind of into a certain style though and I don't want to really work with any other types of meditation. There is a hardcore retreat centre near Hereford that does vipassana. It's up at 4am every day, no speaking, only two vegetarian meals daily, that kind of hell! Though when you're there with everyone else doing the same thing it isn't too hard, and it makes keeping a practice going at home much easier. I reckon if you're feeling demotivated to practice even just doing 5 minutes a day can make a big difference. Then you'll naturally start sitting for longer without having to force yourself.

Thanks for the information about magick. Sounds a bit like you'd need to be a professor to master it though! I could see how the symbolism and ritual aspect could take you into some deep levels of yourself. Do you believe in spirits and entities yourself? The jury is still out for me, though I see that kind of thing as not the central goal, rather a side effect. I have gone through phases of trying to develop special 'powers' like being able to manipulate the world around me to get stuff, and it didn't really work out. I was just on an ego trip to be honest. Now for me it's all about purification and developing a finer sense of perception, which is a slow process but worthwhile. Magick sounds to have similar goals to Buddhism from your description, though different methods. I think I understand what you mean by microcosm = macrocosm, it sounds a bit like "emptiness is form, form is emptiness" from the Tao Te Ching. It kind of unites all the different forms of mysticism, from Buddhism to Christianity to Satanism to the new age. All of the insights from these traditions start to sound similar when you boil down the language.
..there's this place if anyone is interested - http://www.samyeling.org/ - next to Eskdalemuir..
(18-10-2012, 04:59 PM)Mango Wrote: ..there's this place if anyone is interested - http://www.samyeling.org/ - next to Eskdalemuir..

Cheers Mango looks v interesting.
The Mystery Man came over
An' he said: "I'm out of sight"
He said, for a nominal service charge,
I could reach nirvana tonight
If I was ready, willing and able
To pay him his regular fee
He would drop all the rest of his pressing affairs
And devote His Attention to me
Look here brother,
Who you jivin' with that Cosmic Debris?
Look here brother,
Don't you waste your time on me
the Mystery Man got nervous
An' he fidget around a bit
He reached in the pocket of his Mystery Robe
An' he whipped out a shaving kit
Now, I thought it was a razor
An' a can of foaming goo
But he told me right then when the top popped open
There was nothing his box won't do
With the oil of Aphrodite
An' the dust of the Grand Wazoo
"You might not believe this, little fella, but it'll cure your Asthma too!"
Look here brother,
Look here brother,
Don't you waste your time on me
I've got troubles of my own, I said
An' you can't help me out
So take your meditations an' your preparations
An' cram it up yer snout
"BUT I GOT A crystal ball," he said
An' held it to the light
So I snatched it ,All away from him
An' I showed him how to do it right
I wrapped a newspaper 'round my head
So I'd look like I was Deep
I said some Mumbo Jumbo then
An' told him he was going to sleep
I robbed his rings
An' pocket watch
An' everything else I found
I had that sucker hypnotized
He couldn't even make a sound
I proceeded to tell him his future then
As long as he was hanging around,
"The price of meat has just gone up
An' yer ol' lady has just gone down . . . "
Look here brother,
You could make more money as a butcher,
So don't you waste your time on me

now thats what i think but each to their own i guess
I like that a lot Zombywoof
'Eckhart tolle, Deepak chopra and Jiddu Krishnamurti. '

I'd add Byron Katie, Adyashanti and Mooji to that llist.

This is a non-dual gem!....
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...VIFzvoPrYM
'What is your trouble? Mistaken identity'. '
  - W.W.W.
That's all very abstract ZW!

Personally I try not to dwell on these kinds of things these too much these days, there is a danger in becoming too introspective, better to try and make the best of there here and no rather than the over there. Unless your intoxicated and in good company, then its rather fun to speculate!

There's plenty of batshit forms of spirituality out there (challenge to watch more than five minutes of the video above). Some people use it as a safety blanket to hypnotise themselves against experiencing the world. It doesn't mean all forms of spirituality are like that, many people practicing that I've met are down to earth, completely honest with themselves and not at all interested in becoming 'mystery men'.
Some good teachers there empiricist, though I'm not a fan of chopra, he seems dodgy..
Yeah, I'm not sure about Chopra either.
'What is your trouble? Mistaken identity'. '
  - W.W.W.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter