• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Salvia Divinorum reports - 2001-2005
Rainbow 
I recently found a set of historical trip reports I wrote years ago and I've collected together the reports I wrote about salvia, most from 2001, and a couple from 2005. Salvia was really the first psychedelic I ever tried (though not the last). It's interesting for me to go back over these old reports because they're a significant part of my own history. Whether anyone else will find them of interest, I don't know. (The collection below skips the 2nd experience because I haven't been able to find any report for this, so I've either lost this or never wrote one in the first place)

Savia Divinorum (Sage Goddess Emerald Essence, February 8th 2001)

Around 4AM I mixed 2.25ml of Sage Goddess Emerald Essense with 300ml of warm water -- the recommended beginning dose according to the provided literature. I placed the mixture beneath my tongue, noticing a warming sensation from the alcohol, and returned to my darkened room to let the salvia absorb.

During the onset period, I was concerned that I could not see the time. This led me to turn my monitor on, since I wasn't sure I could reach the light switch without knocking something over. I have two monitors on my desk, only one of which is plugged in. I reached for the monitor button and pressed it, and nothing happened. It took me a few seconds to realise that I was trying to turn on the wrong monitor. I found the right button on the correct monitor. The monitor came on, and then after a few seconds went off. I switched it on again, and the same happened. Only when I concentrated could I turn it on properly. I'm still not sure what really happened with this.

Sometime afterwards, I became concerned that I had left a leaflet that had been included with the salvia extract downstairs in the kitchen where it might be found by my parents -- this was irrational since I knew I'd brought everything back up with me. Nevertheless, I went to check. At this point, I noticed that my ears felt hot. I also felt clumsy. In general, it felt like being drunk, only without the elevated mood. Having confirmed the lack of incriminating evidence, I returned to my room and waited until the recommended time had past before I swallowed the salvia mix.

At the height of the experience, there were some minimal visual effects, Most significantly, my depth perception was affected. For example, a window on a monitor seemed to hover in front of the screen, looking like I should be able to pick it up. I also found that curves and shapes were more apparent, and that peripheral vision was impaired.

I decided to type what I was feeling at the time, but gave up, since it felt like I should be typing in blocks of two words at a time - a strange kind of compulsion, but definitely there. I was also making quite a few errors, but the rhythm of hitting the delete key felt good. Movement also felt very good. I imagine that dancing on this level of Salvia would feel great, but I didn't have enough room. At this point I was unsure whether drinking some Pepsi would affect the experience, but I went ahead and did it anyway.

Afterwards, with the experience still ongoing, I went downstairs again and got some food. There were a couple of interesting visual effects to notice there. The stem of the bananas and the apples in the fruit-bowl were exactly the same colour. It appeared that the colour was leaking from the apples into the bananas. A box of tissues seemed to be taking on the same hue as the cover of a book it was leaning on. I also became fascinated with the contrast between a picture of my father and a picture of my nephew, the juxtaposition of the old and the young.

As I type this, I'm at the tail end of the experience. The letters on the page suddenly took on square appearances. I'm feeling pretty good, although the experience wasn't as deep as I had expected or hoped, and I have a mild headache. However, I know that Salvia can take some getting used to, so I'm not quite willing to give up on it yet. Overall, it was interesting.

Savia Divinorum (Sage Goddess Emerald Essence, February 12th 2001)

Dose: 3.75ml Sage Goddess Emerald Essence, taken in three undiluted doses of 0.75ml, 1.5ml, 1.5ml, each retained in the mouth for four and a half minutes, before swallowing. First dose taken at 4AM; finished dosing around 04:14.

My third time using Salvia was something special. I had started reasonably slowly, the first time I used a mild dose which did little, but was impressive because it was my first time using any entheogen. On the scale used in [url=http://www.sagewisdom.org/faq.html]the Salvia FAQ[/url, it was a level 2 trip.

Quote:Level - 2 "A stands for ALTERED perception." Colors and textures are paid attention to. Appreciation of music may be enhanced. Space may appear of greater or lesser depth than is usual. But visions do not occur at this level. Thinking becomes less logical, and more playful; short term memory difficulties are may be noted.

The second time I upped it to a high moderate dose, resulting in, if anything, a more intense version of the former. I never experienced a level 3 trip, something that had convinced me that I'm simply not predisposed to experiencing "eye candy", even though in normal life I possess quite strong visual imagery.

Quote:Level - 3 "L" stands for LIGHT visionary state." Closed eye visuals (clear imagery with eyes closed: fractal patterns, vinelike and geometric patterns, visions of objects and designs). The imagery is often two dimensional. If open eyed visual effects occur these are usually vague and fleeting. At this level phenomena similar to the hypnagogic phenomena that some people experience at sleep onset occur. At this level visions are experienced as "eye candy" but are not confused with reality.

The strong dose that I took was enough to take me to level 4 with some elements of level 5. And still, nearly no visuals.

Quote:Level - 4 "V stands for VIVID visionary state." Complex three dimensional realistic appearing scenes occur. Sometimes voices may be heard. With eyes open contact with consensual reality will not be entirely lost, but when you close your eyes you may forget about consensus reality and enter completely into a dreamlike scene. Shamanistic journeying to other lands, foreign or imaginary; encounters with beings, entities, spirits; or travels to other ages may occur. You may even live the life of another person. At this level you have entered the shaman's world. Or if you prefer you are in "dream time." With eyes closed you experience fantasies (dream like happenings, with a story line to them). So long as your eyes are closed you may believe they are really occurring. This differs from the "eye candy" closed eye imagery, of level 3.

Level - 5 "I" stands for IMMATERIAL existence." At this level consciousness remains and some thought processes are still lucid, but one becomes completely involved in inner experience and loses all contact with consensual reality. Individuality may be lost; one experiences merging with God/dess, mind, universal consciousness, or bizarre fusions with other objects real or imagined, e.g. merging with a wall may be experienced. At this level it is impossible to function in consensual reality, but unfortunately some people do not remain still but move around in this befuddled state. For this reason a sitter is essential to ensure the safety of someone voyaging to the inner levels. To the person experiencing this, the phenomenon may be terrifying or exceedingly pleasant; but to an outside observer the individual may appear confused or disoriented.

Rather than visual imagery, I've found that Salvia affects me in a much more tactile way. At low doses, I become a lot more aware of my body and experience something that seems like a whole-body analogue of the visual trails that LSD users report -- rather than seeing trails around objects, I feel that my body is lagging behind my movements. This is common to each Salvia experience I've been on, although as one may imagine, the effect was at its lowest on the first, mild trip. Another element to this feeling is that I'm sunk down in my bed, and the world is curved upwards around me like a bowl. Note that I don't see the world as distorted, other than a certain loss of depth perception.

At the moderate dose and strong doses, I felt a "push". During the experience, I think of this as the wind blowing, but it's more like a gentle hand guiding me. During the third, strongest trip, this became irresistible.

Unsurprisingly, the most interesting effects happened on this third trip. I took notes as best I could at the time, which make for amusing reading, my record begins like this: "ITS CARrying me away with it now."

Earlier in the day, I had been obsessing over applying to study at university, and the early stages of the trip dealt with this. I felt that outside my room was Science, whilst this room was the Arts. But the two got mixed up, and the room (and myself) condensed into bubbles that were floating away into Space. Space felt very important, I was afraid of it, because as I floated away from my physical self, I felt as if I was losing myself. A somewhat distorted chronology has me remembering being a space craft on the moon -- the classic NASA Apollo shuttle. I felt myself my body stretch and distort and then become the ship itself. Space felt Egyptian in nature.

Some mild visual elements: when I was typing the experience, I remember the writing falling into deep holes in the screen as I typed. The keyboard looked huge, and all sense of scale was lost when I looked at it. I felt as if it were huge, like a church organ. The keys were giant slabs, which I regarded as either "tomes" or "tombs" -- I use both spellings in my notes, although either may be merely a typo.

There was also an element of coercion, which amused me rather than feeling frightening. Early in my notes I typed : "It's trying to make me lie. This is CRAZY!". Much later, I wrote "It won't let me write again. It says I should be experiencing not typinhg... I'm goigh toe lhte it take me." The last conscious memory I have for a while was: "and I'm going to lie down and ssee what# happemneomnd with eyes shur"

At this point I lose coherent recollection. I recall more of the hallucinations, but not their subject. I think I lost myself a little. This lasted several minutes, until I got up again. At this point I noted the time -- 4:29. I'd only been tripping for a quarter of an hour, but it had seemed far longer than that. The physical effects were very strong now: "it#s hard to hit the keys because opf the wind/".

I opened the window to look outside. A bush that seemed golden in the light became a group of kittens, and then a bush again, but I was not completely sure that it was really a bush. I saw some "energy" surging around in the night sky, watched it for a while, then closed the window again.

I hallucinated with eyes shut for a while more, maintaining a more coherent connection to myself. I experienced a recursion, a dreaming me operating a dreaming me, ad infinitum. I worked out that my classic self was worst off since he was unaware of being a dream and had no control over any dreamer subordinate to him. At this point, when my eyes were open, I was aware of the control. I had also taken note of the time again: 4:42. Half an hour after absorption. I was at the edge of the plateau, as evinced by my clearer typing.

The rest of the trip, coming down, was very enjoyable, with similar effects to the moderate dose, waning into the mild. Before I went to sleep I got on my computer and talked a bit in a couple of chat rooms. My girlfriend unexpectedly appeared online and, feeling like she'd know (and disapprove), but knowing that she could have no knowledge of my Salvia use, we talked for a while. I must have been reasonably normal to talk to as she showed no sign of suspecting anything was up.

Save for the afterglow, my trip was over. It was 6:03AM and I was back to a tired kind of normal. The trip had been the single strangest event of my life so far.

Savia Divinorum (Sage Goddess Emerald Essence, February 28th 2001)

At 6pm on the 28th of February, 2001, I underwent my fourth Salvia Divinorum experience. I repeated the same dose as my third time -- three sub-lingual applications of Salvia tincture, the first being 0.75ml, followed by two of 1.5ml, each held for four and a half minutes, before being swallowed.

The setting for this journey was my bedroom, the place in which I feel most comfortable. It was twilight, and the only light was from my computer screen, hence the room was dim, but there was enough light to see what was happening. I sat on my bed, timing the doses by the clock on my computer. The first dose, as always, stung like hell for about a minute, a semi-intense pain which was easily controlled by breathing. This is what you get for not diluting (personally, I'm happy with the trade-off). One minute after, I became a little bored and put some music on. The second dose stung, but not so much as the first, and the third not at all. The monitor had begun to turn green. After this I put the bottle in a safe place, turned the monitor off, and lay down to experience salviation.

The traffic from outside and the music merged and played with each other. At some point (perhaps ten minutes, perhaps more) I felt as if Salvia was telling me to turn the music off. I did so and got beneath my cover, and began to experience visions, certain that I could stop them at any time.

Unlike my previous experience, I did not feel "coerced", perhaps because I was willingly giving myself to the experience. One of my aims for this journey was to go past the barrier, into ego death. This did not happen, but Salvia told me that I was not ready -- in her words: "Do not ask questions, the root/route must grow into answers." That is, the journey must be the question itself.

After this soft reproach, I was pushed out of the visionary state, only to fall back in, feeling my body's reality slowly ebb. I saw two dancing figures in a room, more like automata than people. This persisted for a while, before I felt myself step into the room (although, I was still aware that I was lying on my bed and knew that this was the "real" sensation). I do not clearly recall the visions I experienced, but some distinct impressions remain:

I saw a butterfly that was a bat -- these two-things-as-one visions are quite common for me under salvia. I understood some significance to this, and believe I can relate this to my life. I also saw a goddess who lay down and became a mountain, the rocks as her body. Walking along a mountain pass were a boy and a girl. I was both of them. And I was a God lying beneath a jungle, trees above that fed me with their bodies as I fed them with mine. The Goddess, at the same time as being the mountains, was a woman in the jungle, walking above me. Salvia was with us, watching over us.

I did not question, but understood that these were the images that I was to be left with, to learn how to comprehend.

The clock said 7pm, exactly one hour after I had begun. As I experienced the warm afterglow of Salvia, I felt uplifted. I had returned to 'normal' by 9pm.

Salvia Divinorum (Sage Goddess Emerald Essence, March 2nd 2001)

On my way to work, I took approximately 1.5ml of Salvia essence (Sage Goddess Emerald Essence) sub-lingually. There are a number of reasons why I did this. It was my week off and I had been called in because someone else was sick -- expectations of me would be low. I would be working mostly alone, and since I currently work in a video rental shop, there's no machinery to use in dangerous ways. In short, I was putting no-one in any danger. I had also previously experienced this dose privately, and was interested to see how well I could interact in normal interactions whilst salviated. I knew that I wasn't at all likely to freak out, Salvia tending to have a calming effect on me.

On my way to work (conveniently, around a fifteen minute walk), I noticed the effects begin to slowly overtake me. I became aware of walking and felt the need to consciously control each step. Trees began to look twisted, as if someone had taken hold of the top and turned them through half a rotation, which led me to think of DNA helices. Along the way, colors became enhanced, especially the evergreen bushes and trees that some people have around their gardens. The large leaves of the bushes took on an artistic feel, the leaves appearing incredibly defined individually, but sparse and impressionist when taken as a whole.

At work, a colleague was putting some videos away behind the counter. I stood, talking to her trying to keep with the conversation. This proved a little difficult, although by no means impossible. My speech, as I perceived it, was nearly clear, only stumbling over the occasional phrase. It's possible that the alcohol in the Salvia had numbed my tongue enough, and this effect wasn't Salvia related. I did find this amusing though, repeating the tripped-over phrase a couple of times, in a bemused fashion. My colleague, on the whole, seemed to understand me. I did have trouble concentrating on what she was saying, my mind drifting away easily.

The people, however, were not as interesting as the surroundings. The store I work in is fitted out in primarily blue colours, and there was a blue poster to my left advertising some rental deal . The blues were amazingly bright and deep. They formed one coherent shape, as if they were a frame and the store a picture, behind them. Working on the computer, the screen seemed distorted, bulging out slightly. There was a sensory pleasure to typing, a feeling of disconnection from my hands, as if my arms weren't really there.

I served a couple of customers, managing to interact adequately with them for the transaction. I also took a few telephone calls, although reluctantly since sound wasn't very interesting. After my colleague left, I got on with some small jobs around the place, whilst noting some of the effects on the back of some forms.

As usual, depth perception was affected, movements felt good, and lines formed geometric shapes that were more apparent than the surfaces they formed vertices to. I noticed that when staring at a blank wall, I could perceive flashes from the edges of my eyes. This was probably my pulse. More interestingly, I noticed that concentrating on tasks made them harder, whilst allowing the self to flow instinctively made things easier. Part of this was expressed in the writing of the list itself: My writing looks normal until I refer to the normality of it, whereupon it becomes a semi-literate scrawl until I turn over the page.

I came slowly down, into a tired (I had been woken early by the phone call asking me to work), but not fatigued and generally hopeful state, approximating normality.

It was an interesting and enjoyable experiment, although not one that I'll repeat too often, if at all. The walk to work was the most best part of the experience. An outside setting could be wonderful.

Salvia Divinorum (5x and 10x enhanced leaf, January 14th 2005)

I first tried Salvia about four years ago in tincture form and had some interesting experiences. I drifted away from that side of my life and didn't experiment again until recently, when I came into the possession of some 5x and some 10x enhanced leaf.

Naturally, I checked the available literature and tried smoking it in a pipe. This met with limited success. Although there were definite effects, they were weak and very short-lasting. The shortness of the effect was not entirely unexpected, but the low strength was - mild OEVs and the tiniest hint of psychedelic thought patterns. The tincture had much greater effect.

After a few experiments - the 5x proving essentially non-active - I decided to try something else. Although entirely aware from the various salvia FAQs that joints are supposed to be much less effective than pipes/bongs, I figured an experiment couldn't hurt. So I rolled a couple of cigarettes from the 5x (using a small amount of rolling tobacco for structure). I'd estimate I used no more than two or three bowls worth of Salvia. The difference in effect was remarkable. This was a spur of the moment thing and I was expecting little effect. I was to be surprised.

The effects slowly came on during the smoking of the two cigarettes (which I chained, one after the other - although they probably contained less actual tobacco than one normal hand-rolled cigarette), but didn't reach a peak for at least another twenty minutes. This correlates with my experience of sub-lingually absorbed Salvia. This suggests to me that (for me) Salvia works better absorbed over the course of several minutes, rather than a large dose in a shorter time. I suspect that some others who report minimal or disappointing effects from bong/pipe smoked Salvia may find that, contrary to the established wisdom, smoking it in joints is more effective.

The visual effects, both open and closed eyes, were fairly impressive. With eyes open I experienced some significant distortion of space, and intensified colour. There was the certain swirliness that I've come to associate with Salvia. Looking in a mirror was interesting - my reflection was very distorted and morphed as I watched. Later, looking at clouds in the night sky, I found they stuttered instead of moving smoothly.

The usual Salvia body-effect was evident although relatively subtle. Thoughts came clearly and were full of unexpected tangents.

Around an hour and a half after smoking it, I began to approach baseline again. It might be noted that these times are similar to those reported for sub-lingual absorption. One possible conclusion is that (for some people, at least) a longer duration of absorption (e.g. joints and tincture) leads to a longer trip.

Salvia Divinorum (10x enhanced leaf, February 2nd 2005)

Smoked two bowls of 10x in a pipe using a micro-jet lighter. Odd.

Feeling of reality being unzipped along me. For a few seconds it was as if my right half was real and my left half was being sucked into it. Closed my eyes. Realised suddenly I wasn't the only one in my head doing the thinking. As if three versions of me, somewhere above/inside my head were talking about me in the third person, looking down on me.

"Who does he expect to meet here?" asked one.

"Why's he come here?" asked another.

"What does he expect to happen?" said the first.

The third remained silent, watching the other two.

They disappeared.

Altered vision etc. Strange feelings, still far from baseline. Thinking about the exchange, I wondered what right an atheist like me had using an entheogen. If I do not believe in a reality where there is an unperceived spirit world, why should I expect to find it on the other side of Salvia? Feelings of loneliness and confusion. [i[Why am I using these substances?[/i] What do I expect to get out of it? Am I exploring or just some bloke getting fucked up alone? If I can't pull myself out of consensus reality, then where else do I have to go?
Thanks very interesting
I find it interesting that, if Nif had not named the substance itself, I would probably not have recognised it from my personal experience. In one sense, I am not surprised by this, because reading the literature of original shamanic use, creates the same sense.

My supposition is that this is due to the ROI. I smoked extracts on each of my three trips: and they were of the order of 40x. The experience from this was not a pleasant one. I was overwhelmed, including by fear. 

On each occasion I thought I had it nailed. The first took me completely by surprise: I mean completely, given that I thought I had purchased some sort of cannabinoid. The second I was prepared for: I lay on a bed in the dark to contemplate. For the third I had a sitter. 

Each time I felt myself leaving my bodily existence and hanging on, or trying to, in abject terror. I got nothing out of this other than the realisation that there was something out there... in the sense of something outside the 3D existence we consider to be normal. Bear in mind that for me too, this was an early exploration of psychedelics/deliriants. 

When I state the above however ("I got nothing out of this other than"), I now realise that this insight was in fact enormous, even if the experience itself was traumatic.

I sort of felt that I was in a realm in which I could see different timelines flashing in front of me. Also, like Nif, that there was other intelligence somehow, which was aloof from me, and not necessarily positive.

Overall though, my experience seems to contrast with Nif's, which appears to be more than subjectively, hence the thought that the ROA and his far more scientifically dosed method, is the cause. 

Regardless of my prior experience, if I ever do find the opportunity to engage this interesting plant via a more controlled and sensible route, I will probably take it.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ Terence McKenna

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter