• 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Poetry
(04-01-2014, 11:42 PM)HRGigerFan Wrote: Now having said this i did hear one evening, whilst i was listening to somebodys music choice on 'Dessert Island Discs' on radio 4, a piece of music (either rap or hip hop, i dontknow which) which had the lyrics in it 'Knowledge is power, knowledge is power' i completley missed who it was by, but it really stood out to me as a good piece of lyrical inventiveness, and i just thought the message 'knowledge is power' was a really good positive message, which i think would be good for a lot of young people, who are involved in gangs / gun crime etc to hear, to try and get them, to take more of an intelligent interest in the world, to try and stop the seemingly endless cycles of violence towards each other, which i believe they think is a good thing, because of the more negative aspects of rap (or hip hop) which the machine eagerly sells them, to make a quick buck.

I know it wasn't this one, but you just reminded me of this record from off of the 90's with a 'knowledge is power' sample...

This.....is real life
Hello Tralala,

Thanks for youre link to the video/music DJ Emma - the duster (fuck off and dance mix). you are right, it is not the track i was thinking off, but however, i did enjoy this. It strikes me as a track (and i am no expert) which could be used to warm a club up at the very beginning of an evening, or at the very end of an evening when, everybody is absolutley fucked out of their faces lol! The 'Knowledge is power' sample, is something that i wish (as you have gathered from my previous comment) would reach out to young people involved in crime/gang violence etc. It really does bring tears to my eyes, to know that so many young people are either stabbing or shooting each other, over the most ridi8culous of fucking arguments. Intelligence is not neccassary an inherited trait. It is my belief that intelligence can be taught and learnt, with the most basic of questions, 'Why?'
"Despite access to billions of people online, i have never felt so alone."
Take a look at some of the British underground rap artists dude. They aren't glamorising gang culture or violence or negativity. They only bring a positive message and do so eloquently and intelligently. Unfortunately, the machine aren't interested in real rap like that though. They'd rather sell you that gremlin-looking motherfucker Lily Wayne with his talentless rhyming of the word "nigga" and glorification of gang culture. It's shallow, manufactured crap.
(04-01-2014, 11:42 PM)HRGigerFan Wrote: I have myself seem some really good buskers, and i keep thinking, how the fuck can they not be making a living out of it?

They can and many do for a time, but the hassle of license/connection/rake means they normally move on to something more stable.

Re poetry I am out of touch but there are spoken word scenes around education, East London, the Edinburgh fringe, and Bestival/Latitude plus the literary/spoken word festivals.

My current fave two/three liners, an old one and a recent one:

Robert Herrick Wrote:Here we are all, by; by night we're hurled
By dreams, each one, into a several world.

Mink Wrote:What does mink/child#1/child#2 want for his/her birthday?
I want more people to take a chance on giving me something I'd never think of asking for myself.
The girls want Boots or iTunes vouchers please.

Have you made the effort to listen to your subconscious today? 'Your sake' breakz are as amazing as line times or pin mins.

Thanks Psychmink and Highplains drifter for youre replys:

Highpliansdrifter: could you name drop me some underground rap artists (non machine) that i could investigate.

Also,

I am thinking at the moment that perhaps i have been a little selfish by starting this thread under the name 'My Poetry' and as a result i would like to open this thread up to anybody who would like to contribute any work they have, whether published or unpublished (Rap or otherwise), though the purpose of doing this, is not to offer any criticism from me, since criticism is a very personal thing, although if anybody wishes to offer any criticism about any of my poems or anybody elses then you are more than welcome to do so, as i think that it is always interesting to hear how others have been mentally affected (lol!) by the particular work in question. Even if you think that you have writtena load of crap, i still encourage you to submit it to this thread, as i believe strongly in promoting creativity in all aspects of art, and please bear in mind that artists do not always write hits every time, sometimes it is crap, sometimes stuff i write is shit, so dont let that put you off. I would also like to encourage you all, as well as submitting stuff to this forum, to submit youre work to poetry magazines, so that you can leave (if successfull) some "footprints in the sands of time" (I am sure thats from a poem by somebody). If youre work has been previously published however, please state this, and details of the publication (or recording) it has appeared in, for general interest and copyright issues.

Get youre pens out, and have fun.

Also, i would just like to point out, that there should be no limits to creative expression, even if you think that you might cause offence. Any views expressed by individual authors are those of the individual concerned and do not reflect in any way on any body else using this site, or the owners of this site.
(08-01-2014, 06:33 PM)HRGigerFan Wrote: I am thinking at the moment that perhaps i have been a little selfish by starting this thread under the name 'My Poetry' and as a result i would like to open this thread up to anybody who would like to contribute any work they have, whether published or unpublished (Rap or otherwise), though the purpose of doing this, is not to offer any criticism from me, since criticism is a very personal thing, although if anybody wishes to offer any criticism about any of my poems or anybody elses then you are more than welcome to do so, as i think that it is always interesting to hear how others have been mentally affected (lol!) by the particular work in question. Even if you think that you have writtena load of crap, i still encourage you to submit it to this thread, as i believe strongly in promoting creativity in all aspects of art, and please bear in mind that artists do not always write hits every time, sometimes it is crap, sometimes stuff i write is shit, so dont let that put you off. I would also like to encourage you all, as well as submitting stuff to this forum, to submit youre work to poetry magazines, so that you can leave (if successfull) some "footprints in the sands of time" (I am sure thats from a poem by somebody). If youre work has been previously published however, please state this, and details of the publication (or recording) it has appeared in, for general interest and copyright issues.

Get youre pens out, and have fun.

Also, i would just like to point out, that there should be no limits to creative expression, even if you think that you might cause offence. Any views expressed by individual authors are those of the individual concerned and do not reflect in any way on any body else using this site, or the owners of this site.

We already have a poetry thread HRGiger....would you like me to merge your thread with that one and make one big, happy poetry thread or does that thought fill you with dread? (sorry....couldn't help attempting to be poetic...very badly!)
This.....is real life
OH GOD, What a fucking idiot i am at times, I didnt realise you had already got a poetry thread, sorry. Yes i think that would be a good idea to merge it, and i give you my permission to do so. What a fucking knob head, honestly!
(08-01-2014, 07:36 PM)HRGigerFan Wrote: OH GOD, What a fucking idiot i am at times, I didnt realise you had already got a poetry thread, sorry. Yes i think that would be a good idea to merge it, and i give you my permission to do so. What a fucking knob head, honestly!

It's fine, chill! Now lets see if I can merge them without breaking the forum....
This.....is real life
Hello eveyone,

Just dropped by breifly this evening to give you another of my poems, being as i am feeling very disinhibited after loads to drink.

Companion

Where are you my companion?

In My Heart I feel you,
Though we have never met,
Separated by the gulfs of an unyielding world.

Somewhere you are out there, i know,
Concealed behind the moon with Orion,
Or sleeping in the depths of a river,
That flows with languid mists.

Is this youre face i see?
Amongst my whirling dreams,
Is this youre scent i smell,
Coming from the sorcerer's censer.

Is God so cruel that we cannot be together?

Oh my companion,
Where are you?
I wander the streets searching for you,
But all i ever find,
Is wind blown litter,
The walking dead,
And the warmth of other peoples lives,
Leaking through the insulation,
Of complacent windows.

@ D P Jones
published in 'The Cannon's Mouth' issue 43 March 2012.
know all mind
5 years ago 
choices informed
time will be no teacher

omniscience
5 teachers pass
choices circle circuit double
know all mind knows nothing

life
incomprehendible from once know all
downhill descent
inescapable undeniable chosen descent, drift
out into darkness! ecstasy

choices circle circuit double, informed
of omniscience? without 
this yet teachers gifts
still time teaches nothing, this time.

Realise my above is pretty modernist (think cummings) anyone else a fan of the style? Kinda lost on my lass..

also giger check immortal tecnique - dance with the devil.  
And Rick Fury
ned - i just wanted a code to go and hav a look but yee hav ruined it now acting like scientolagists with the code...seriously yee say im a prick just take a step back there

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter