• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

L-Theanine
DL-Theanine is a naturally occurring amino acid, commonly found in tea (green tea specifically). It does not contain any caffeine itself, however it is thought to be the ingredient in green tea responsible for providing the calming effects associated with its use.
L-Theanine has shown to improve mood, reduce physical and mental stress and as well as improve cognition. It reportedly does so without reducing alertness or promoting drowsiness.
Structurally, it is related to glutamine and glutamate, but it doesn't quite function in the same way.
Rather than taking GABA, which arguably doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier all too well, L-Theanine works by increasing GABA levels in the brain naturally. GABA is a neurotransmitter responsible for regulating (inhibiting, in many cases) the excitability of neurons in the body, reducing insomnia and general restlessness in the process. Furthermore, theanine also increases levels of dopamine, which along with GABA helps provide the calming and mood-boosting effects L-Theanine possesses.
We find that for improving focus and cognition, it performs well in a synergistic manner with caffeine. Does anyone else have experience with this subtle and underated Nootropic and non-essential Amino acid this is from Intellimeds although i haven't used their particular brand i thought their summing up was concise and covered the basics.I have used it in capsule form and as a powder and currently have some on order.There seems to be a couple of different forms the most expensive being Suntheanine which is the most studied form.Is it worth forking out more for that or is common garden L-Theanine just as good? For people with anxiety issues like me its an effective benzo alternative and far more forgiving,although if you suspect you are in any way physically addicted to them do not stop and attempt to use this abruptly,a slow taper is the only way to tackle that problem.
Oh well i guess not. Is anyone interested in Nootropics at all.
Patience young padawan, this is a slow section of a pretty niche forum.

In answer to your Suntheanine question. Yes get it. It's a good trusted brand who only give you the active isomer, making it 2x as potent.

L-theanine is pretty good as a counter balance to caffeine. Some people are touting it as a global life improver but I haven't noticed this. It effectively works as an antidote is I have too much coffee.

Perhaps it brings down stress levels, very, very slightly. I don't notice anti-anxiety effects though unless I have induced them with stimulants.
I find the effect is slow building,subtle but defo there.It boosts Herbs like Passiflora and Valerian.I have 25g arriving tomorrow,couldn't run to Suntheanine this time.Think i'll try 200mg twice a day and see how that goes.
(24-03-2014, 10:56 PM)Ragenori Wrote: Patience young padawan, this is a slow section of a pretty niche forum.

In answer to your Suntheanine question. Yes get it. It's a good trusted brand who only give you the active isomer, making it 2x as potent.

L-theanine is pretty good as a counter balance to caffeine. Some people are touting it as a global life improver but I haven't noticed this. It effectively works as an antidote is I have too much coffee.

Perhaps it brings down stress levels, very, very slightly. I don't notice anti-anxiety effects though unless I have induced them with stimulants.

Suntheanine this is not an actual company but is the name give to the extraction process which most of the clinical studies were based on. You will notice that some companies put Suntheanine on the product and some don't. This just means they either used that particular extraction process or not.

You can use any form of L-Theanine you like. I have been using this daily for a number of years, there is a thread I started in the harm reduction section all about L-Theanine.

I have used Suntheanine versions and normal versions, in fact I've pretty much tried them all and it made no difference in effects. You will know if something is genuine L-Theanine by the taste.

In the end I either get it from My Protein or from eBay and neither of them use the Suntheanine extraction but both work just as well.
Would it be ok to take L-theanine together with Valproate acid? And if so in what dose to take L-theanine. I know they both have influence on Gaba but I don't have the scientific background to be sure if it's safe.

I know one should be careful with combining benzo's and Valproate acid, I take low doses of Alprazolam (0.25mg) if needed (panic-attack), I keep the Alprazolam doses very low because of the interaction between the 2. The sedating effects intensify each other. 

I'm basically looking for a healthier, less sedating and more natural substance to deal with my mood/anxiety problems, but I need to be sure about it's safety combining it with Valproate.

So hopefully a forum member with knowledge in biochemistry can shine his/her light on this question.
To live outside the law, you must be honest - Bob Dylan    

All i know is it's an anti-convulsant and carries a risk of Liver damage usually in initial stage of treatment.I assume it's a POM but i wouldn't like to speculate as regards interactions.L-theanine is a way weaker GABA agonist than Alprazolam,even low dose Alprazolam is far more potent but unless someone else can give you hard facts i wouldn't chance it.I got my new batch today and it's still effective.Mild relaxation without any sedation and a subtle mood lift which usually increases after a few days.Most definitely worth a go if you have anxiety and low mood.
(25-03-2014, 02:56 PM)acetlyblue Wrote: All i know is it's an anti-convulsant and carries a risk of Liver damage usually in initial stage of treatment.I assume it's a POM but i wouldn't like to speculate as regards interactions.

It's prescribed to me as a moodstabilizer, I'm not epileptic and I've been using it 2 years already . I'm getting my blood checked every couple of months (3-6).

I never had problems/interactions using certain RC's as long as they are not sedatives and work on Gaba receptors. I know to be carefull with cns depressants because of the medication.

I have some Theanine already but I didn't try it yet. I was thinking about starting with a low dose and see if it would intensify the effect of both substances. But I would prefer if someone with some medical knowledge would take a look at this.

If this would work for me I'm thinking about lowering my Valproate dose (1000mg) and in time maybe even quit it.

My doc unfortunately doesn't believe in supplements so I can't ask her for more info.

Thx for the response Acetlyblue
To live outside the law, you must be honest - Bob Dylan    

Yes i'm afraid they are not well up on things like Theanine or even Phenibut.Mine has a single response which is if it's not been approved etc etc.If you listen to everything they say you wouldn't give anything a go.Still they do have their uses.Normally i would say try it cautiously but there is so little about Valproic Acid (pardon me if i have misspelled) which is i think the same thing,that i am very hesitant.Wait and see if someone like Mela knows a little more,but i doubt anyone can give you an 100% guarantee.That's why they are called RCs,even Theanine qualifies as one.There has been however a in depth study of Theanine conducted by a Japanese research team because of it's prescence in Green Tea,for what it's worth they concluded that it's essentially safe at 2-400 mg a day but one study can't examine every interaction.
The FDA have classified L-Theanine safe up to 1200mgs per day.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter