• 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Ibogaine
(10-05-2015, 11:32 PM)WeAreScientists Wrote: Do we know for sure that LSD does nothing for opiate addiction? I am aware it would not stop the physical dependence but it can't do that for alcohol either. I am referring to the mental addiction. What you'd be looking for is a change in mindset caused by the trip. I don't see why it could help addiction to alcohol but not opiates. 
You thinking is essentially correct; the studies were done with alcoholics; the therapy was psychedelic as opposed to psycholytic in that the intention was to induce peak experience which was primary to change; confrontation of the underlying causes of addiction, unleasing suppressed material, fundermental change of outlook and motivation blah blah. There are mostly rather anecdotal reports of other addictions responding and since it is primarily a psychological approach it is fair to assume that, to the degree it works, it should work for all addictions or that other psychedelics could potentially do the same; there isn't currently any evidence of more directly pharmacological effect as there is with Ibogaine which in additon to very strong inclination to therapuetic psychological actions I allude to above, effects opioid receptors as well as being NMDA antagonist where there is some research into suggesting antagonists alleviate opioid withdrawl as well as alcohol which might be wholely or partly related to lasting antidepressive actions. The main metabolite noribogaine has even longer half life than ibogaine it's self and is considered quite important to it's extreme therapuetic window of effect.

There also appear to be long lasting enzymic changes; proteins have been extracted from cell cultures have been subjected to two dimentional electrophresis and computer analysis showing changes to enzymes specific to burning sugars so providing larger cellular energy availability and some form of better faster metabolism-repair and toxic or viral elimination.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"
Very good points Xoch. I believe alcoholics were choses because at that time it was the easiest drug of abuse to detect in someone, ie, being pissed is easier to detect due to smell.
"To fall in hell or soar angelic you need a pinch of psychedelic".
Humphry Osmond to Aldous Huxley (in a book)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxGqcCeV3qk
(11-05-2015, 09:19 AM)Tempz Wrote:
(11-05-2015, 08:49 AM)bigazznugz Wrote: actually live just a couple miles away from Johns Hopkins and actually enrolled in ttheir Psylosybin study to redce smoking. I actually got a call back from the place too. I think having another person in the same household that smoked is what disqualified me.

Actually?
My hand to god.
They are using Psylosybin in pure form along with a specific sort of meditation to help quit smoking.
love the world and it will love you back. chin

(11-05-2015, 11:06 AM)Carousel Wrote: (LSD) Well, I can't say that it doesn't help changing the mindset abit, can maybe help abit stopping a mild opioid addiction, but surely didn't do enough for my opi days when I was young...
Ibogaine is a different game for opioid addiction, is an agonist for the κ-opioid receptors and an antagonist to the of the NMDA receptors... the trip by itself is like a parallel universe, and you get an afterglow that can last months.
All this factors help in all consequences of the opioid addiction, as all of you know, it's a complex one, it seems like it takes everything from you...
The above part is just my opinion based on my small experience and knowledge.
But in general psychedelics seem to be a real help to stop many different types of addiction, and everyone here knows this to a point.

I just replied something that didn't exist xD

Is too hot today in Portugal, I can't think straight....
This has been on my list for a long time, and I have at last dipped my toe into the water.

With a new botanical or chemical, I always heed my own advice. I start low. So it was with Iboga.

As it is indeed expensive, I procured 5g from a well known vendor, for initial testing: the idea being to ditch the experiment if the substance was totally inactive, or nightmarish in some way.

On Saturday I consumed 1g, planning to have maybe 2g or 3g as a second pitch, and perhaps go for the full experience sometime thereafter. This was only a broad notion, however, as these things usually don’t work out exactly as planned.

Although 1g was chosen primarily for safety (containing maybe 25-50mg of Ibogaine), from what I had gathered from other field reports, psychoactive effect could still be experienced. The following, for example, is from Erowid:
 "Even at this small dose, the effect was noticeable. I wasn't completely sure about attributing the shift in my mental state to the impact of the drug (Shulgin calls this +1, I think), but my later trial with a larger dose reproduced a very similar state much more vividly (and dramatically). There were no perceptual changes, but the mood would be best described as tranquil lucidity. At this small dose, it was quite pleasant and kind. The mental effect formed clearly approximately 2 hours after the ingestion, and lasted for a few hours subsiding gradually in waves"

At pre-threshold and threshold levels like this, it is hard to be sure, but I tended to feel a little bit like that. I felt serene, with a strange sort of background feeling, maybe tingly a little. It's very hard to say what was placebo, and what wasn't. But I felt that there was at least some sort of effect going on, albeit minor.

I wasn't ill, and felt no body load, so all was good on that front. After a few hours, I thought that was that.

Except it wasn't.

On Saturday, Sunday and Monday (last night) I had dreams. Far more lucid than normal. I didn't connect them to the Iboga at all, especially as on Sunday I had been out drinking alcohol.

It was last night's dreams that made me stop and take stock. What was causing this? Maybe it was something I had consumed last week? I recalled that my entire intake was just a few experimental bong hits of powdered Acacia Confusa root on Wednesday, so that was rather unlikely.

Nonetheless I Googled that name, and "dream", and there was nothing to suggest any likelihood of connection. So I did the same search, but with Iboga and “dream”. Bingo.

There were indeed a multitude of reports suggesting that Iboga is an oneirogenic. The following, for example, is from BL:
"Also I forgot to mention, I have been having super intense, vivid, varied dreams every single night. Sometimes really bizarre ones. Before the ibogaine it was incredibly rare for me to remember a dream, much less be present in my dreams, but lately I've had a number of dreams bordering on lucid."

There is a degree of confusion here, because a large dose of Ibogaine apparently causes an awake dreamlike state. I, however, am taking about dreams, whilst asleep. Reports on the net seem to cover both of these states, and often, in a confused way. I should also note that I have awoken feeling refreshed and rested on each occasion.

This, of course, has now affected my plans. Before experimenting with the 2-3g of Iboga, I will wait to see how the dreams progress, and how long it takes for my normal state to return.

My interest in this strange plant has increased.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ Terence McKenna
[deleted]

niamh edited 01-08-2017 05:57 PM this post because:

Sourcing is not allowed.

You're not going to find it outside of treatment centres, maybe approach one locally as they generally have personal connections which they can vouch for.

Also, be careful asking for sources, 'tis against the rules.
"The depth of research that binds the pages together is amazing and enlightening to all but the most intellectual of readers. It's a light hearted read, but dark and brooding. Recommended for anyone ready to get their teeth into something tasty."

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter