• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Genre's you wanted to like but couldn't
I still say genesis were crap though and got worse when Peter Gabriel left he was much better as a solo artist  Taunt
(14-01-2016, 05:48 PM)herpaderpa Wrote: The garage music posted earlier is really good, please post more

Glad you like it... sure thing...

I used to go to a club night that a couple of the dream team put on and they were very cool and unpretentious... just loved to party

this is a good one for the car on your way to or from work... zooming through the traffic singing along...

of course this is all UK garage or "2 step" there is another kind of garage which was mainly US produced, closer to house in rhythm with soulful vocals and pre-dates the UK sound... it was called garage after the legendary "paradise garage" night club in New York.

Blankets screw you up. Just say no.
(15-01-2016, 08:15 PM)ralhar Wrote:
(14-01-2016, 05:48 PM)herpaderpa Wrote: The garage music posted earlier is really good, please post more

Glad you like it... sure thing...

Nice work
(15-01-2016, 07:21 PM)zombywoof Wrote: I didnt like genesis or yes for some reason

NEither did I but I love Rush and Marillion, go figure :)

I really wanted to be into Iron Maiden when I was a kid but just found them boring.  I like some songs but can't listen to a whole album.  I was a Megadeth/Metallica metalhead until the UK indie scene and Stone Roses/Charlatans/Inspirals were just becoming big when I was 14 or 15.  I basically went from a metalhead one day to cool, guitar music of any kind.

I think prior to the indie scene I only liked Metal because I would be quite tribal and anything not metal was not good because it wasn't metal.  The indie scene removing my insistence on there being only 1 kind of good music opened me up to exploring my Dad's LP collection of John Mayall, Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Captain Beefheart, Cream.

My opinion of my Dad changed overnight basically.  That grumpy old miserable man (he wasn't of course) was one of the coolest most credible people I would ever have the pleasure of being in the company of
“Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love.
Love is not music.
Music is THE BEST.”
hardcore

To live outside the law, you must be honest - Bob Dylan    

Punk.

Great attitude but the music was (and is) crap.
'Why can't I be different and original
Like everybody else?'
(Vivian Stanshall)
(11-11-2015, 11:11 AM)SteveBrule44 Wrote: Always thought Bob Marley and the reggae scene was awesome but found very little in it I could listen to, the same with ska. I bought several King Tubby albums and tried and tried but could only find small parts within I could enjoy. 

Also anything that seems to be below a certain speed or hardness usually turns me off no matter how hard I try. I want to love Johnny Cash but can't, but for some reason can with Nick Drake. 

This seems strange to me because a) II like a lot of music which is clearly influenced by the music, and B) usually if I put my mind to it I enjoy a lot of real earache type stuff, black metal, harsh electronica. And going back to slow tempo it's fine with me if electronic and/or dark, but acoustic or happy and I'm not there. 

Anyone else relate?

Boom, pretty much exactly My musical taste spectrum has to be over a certain speed really else my mind wanders, i can handle slow chillout if its electronica or soundsaping or some shit but its so far very rare i get on with reggae it generates brain waves opposed to the ones my head can enjoy. I can enjoy other peoples taste in most music if its good, even reggae ocne or twice but its never something ill give a go on choice. Id categorise my taste mainly atm as 'unhappy hardcore' just fairly pissed off music really but this is the music i choose to listen to in my own bubble of conciousness. When im at a festival in the sun i could likly lay there baked by the sun and other things listening to the folkiest of folk.

My taste generally progresed through the metals, tried to like iron maiden as a child but couldnt really rammstien kinda gave me the bug went through all the various prog, death, black metal bands, ive got quite a selection of stuff from then, then more into grindcore, goregrind and breakcore both for the fact of slamming beats but also grindcore is a sort of parody genre of itself and other so that appeals. I have a general dislike of lyrics so that probably ties in with the metal vibes, I like the voice used as an instrument,if i wanted told a story id read a book.

So my taste now is pretty much ludicrously up tempo sampled up breakcore, From the beautiful to the grotesque, fuel for the engines as it were

Try everything twice Because who knows, you might have got it wrong the first time

C
(16-01-2016, 04:53 AM)GreenNeedle Wrote:
(15-01-2016, 07:21 PM)zombywoof Wrote: I didnt like genesis or yes for some reason

NEither did I but I love Rush and Marillion, go figure :)

I really wanted to be into Iron Maiden when I was a kid but just found them boring.  I like some songs but can't listen to a whole album.  I was a Megadeth/Metallica metalhead until the UK indie scene and Stone Roses/Charlatans/Inspirals were just becoming big when I was 14 or 15.  I basically went from a metalhead one day to cool, guitar music of any kind.

I think prior to the indie scene I only liked Metal because I would be quite tribal and anything not metal was not good because it wasn't metal.  The indie scene removing my insistence on there being only 1 kind of good music opened me up to exploring my Dad's LP collection of John Mayall, Hendrix, Jethro Tull, Captain Beefheart, Cream.

My opinion of my Dad changed overnight basically.  That grumpy old miserable man (he wasn't of course) was one of the coolest most credible people I would ever have the pleasure of being in the company of

I've always thought that prog was separated into two categories; the abstract, lyrically pretentious, sometimes inaccessible kind (i.e. Genesis, some Yes, King Crimson), and the more down-to-earth, visceral kind that doesn't just go straight over my head (i.e Floyd, Rush, Alan Parsons Project). Pink Floyd have been my favourite band since I was a kid, and I only heard the phrase 'progressive rock' when I was about 10-11. I was keen to listen to more bands like Floyd but when I listened to more prog I was disappointed to hear most of it was like Genesis/Yes and realised prog rock is the most generic phrase ever put to a genre.
Buy a scale, buy a scale.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter