• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gabapentin and Pregabalin to be class C from April 2019
After a long period of consultation, the government have decided to go ahead and schedule pregabalin and gabapentin under class C.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/prega...ss-c-drugs
Not all that surprising, unfortunately. They were the most widely used replacements for benzos, so it was only a matter of time before our overzealous government decided to schedule them similarly. :-/
I assume this is to plug the "loophole" of offshore purchases under the 3 month supply rule?
I'd be interested to see the date when these death stats began to rise …...May 2017 by any chance?
Yet again , another eureka moment by the UK Gov finding a way to remove a problem that they created themselves.
The ACMD recommended scheduling them in January 2016 and concerns about abuse of gabapentin and pregabalin had been raised by Public Health England in Decmeber 2014. Death stats in the ACMD report go back to 2009 and show a clear rise in deaths in 2012/2013. So the scheduling of pregabalin and gabapentin has been a long time in the making and pre-dates the PSA by several years.

I mean, I don't think scheduling drugs is actually an effective drug policy, but in this case, it looks like the motivation and circumstances were independent of the PSA or other political motivations.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter