• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Done with drugs and I mean it well kind of .SSRI help please
Okay guys although my rc drug usage is is not crazy I feel all the experimenting and pleasure I can get is done .In other words I want to get back to some kind of reality .

A lo oft life changing events have happened to me this year and to put it bluntly life will never be the same again .That does not mean I am giving up although at times I do feel like I could .

I know alot people are against SSRI's but I feel time is right to go back to medication and request CBT treatment as well at the same time .I am low enough without worrying about putting on weight but many anti depressants do have this effect or at least make you crave more food .I understand dieting and for once I am the correct weight .I do wish to be prescribed the anti depressant with the least likely to aid weight gain has anyone got any ideas if we have any available on the NHS as it seems very limited from what I am reading .I will play my part by dieting and exercising but I need to avoid the meds that are most likely to make me put on weight as that in itself will depress me .

I know I said I am giving up drugs and contradicting myself by going to my doctor to ask for drugs but the time is right and I need the help now.I have no physical addiction to any drugs that I have taken and wish to leave them in the past as they do not help l me live my life to the fullest in fact hinder my mental health a lot .

My anxiety fears are through the roof and I now let stupid things upset me .I have no joy or anything I look forward to .In fact when I look a head all I see loved ones dieing .I do not see a positive future or any futire so I think it is time to see GP.I try think of what I have compared so many in the world.I have my health I have a job and I have enough food . But knowing that I am fortunate in that way like most of us on here compared to much of the world I still feel empty .

I will eat right do the exercise as it helps but I also need professional help which I will seek.I just could do without being prescribed an ssri that is more likely than not to put weight on .

Long rant over and would just like to wish everyone on here a very happy new year .
Most SSRI's can cause weight gain, but the effect is rather small on average (1-2 pounds after a year of use). Some people will be more prone to this than othrs, but for most the effect is so small that it's hardly worth worrying about. If you're concerned, discuss it with your GP.
I guess one or 2 pounds is nothing to worry about .I hvae avoid prozac as i felt happy on it but it did give craving for decent ale and that in it's self did not help my weight and was counter productive drinking booze everynight while fighting depression even if only a couple of bottles .
Many are against AD because they didn't personally benefit on them - that is personal experience extended to others - something we can all do at times but doesn't tell the whole picture; many find them neutral and without problem and another load have found them a god send - do what you need to do. No contradiction between stopping recreational use of totally untested drugs of various sorts which you feel are having a detrimental effect and taking a medicine to sort a problem
Never seen much evidence in real life of weight gain in my self or those I've known from ADs except mirtazepine which is a "NaSSA" not an SSRI; with mirtazepine it's common. It's used where sedation is desirable too. personally been through about 8 ADs and never craved food or changed weight. I did get fatter of mirtaz but don't recall actually eating more. If weight is a concern discuss option with your doctor - the CBT is also a great idea.
Wishing you the best for 2016
Xoch
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"
Thanks for the rplies it is worry having seek medication to get through these times but it may help in the short term.I was blind sided last time I was prescribed AD's as I never sought them out and all honesty my doctor choose a lazy option .This time I am going to try the meds and the CBT if available .I shall also ask people around me to keep an eye out things and i will also keep an eye out for things that I am more aware of as I know there is chance that if the dose is too much I could become manic .But the risk seems worth it because how I feel now is hell .
I was very anti-AD for a while - they don't always help - I think some of the flack is they don't magically cure everything or make it all great; that might be an expectation too far if things are bad; if they were rewarding like amphetamine and benzos people would like there prescription despite the short termism. On reflection although I didn't like them(ADs) much they might have provided some form of stability when it was totally going to shit without being morish or abusable; never had the slightest withdrawl off them with abrupt stops (still not advised). Just see how you do, they vary a lot and you may do better with some than others. It often takes a week or two to get used to a new antidepressant but generally they are well tolerated. If you expect mania a more sedative AD might be more use - I actually thought mirtaz fairly good and for me the weight thing only ment I suddenly didn't need a belt to stop all my ill fitting trousers falling down my skinny ass but there are other sedating options. The sort of manic phases seroxat was famed for, not to excuse the drugs companies for hiding it, were rare - I am sure you will be alright - it's more a feeling of being on something or stomach sensation, tiredness and feelings like that when you start.  The other side is I have heard a couple of people feel just great on ADs. Things often come around in time but sometimes even a short term narrowing of emotion from ADs can get you though that rough patch.  One doesn't believe it when one is really down, I know from experience, but things can change for the better. At my worst I was sent to an emergency psychiatrist in case I needed sectioning I presented in such a distressed state. I have my problems still but had some really dark times I never thought I would see out. Really wishing you well.
Wellabutrin (bupropion) is good and a ndri not a ssri.
Most stable surf with the least side effects, out of zololft (sertraline), effoxor (venlafaxine), zyprexa (olanzapine), seroquel (quetiapine).
Don't fuck with mood stabilizers like zyprexa I gained 60lb In one month, in a hospital diet setting!!! I am usually 120 I got to be almost 200lbs.
Im happy you have made a wise decision to move on I applaud that.
Much love,
Nugz....

magick edited 01-01-2016 02:51 PM this post because:

For comprehensibility, please include generic drug names. Many popular US brand names are not used (or widely recognised) in Europe.

love the world and it will love you back. chin
And expect the best; the actual prevalence of certain side effects is often tiny - doctor are in a quandary as to a patients right to know of side effects = the more they tell of the the more patient imagine they find - we have the nocebo and the placebo effects - the other side is patients have been shown to experience better effects from branded products from generics despite being identical. Pills are even coloured to be suggestive of certain action.
I would join with others in saying do as you need to do; this includes anything from permanent resumption of anti-depressant medication to a short course of something to get you out of a rut. I tend to agree that anti-depressants work for a significant proportion of the population, but not for all.

One thought: you mention about being careful with SSRIs as too much/many "could send you manic". How literally do you mean that, and have you been assessed for bipolar affective disorder? Apparently, it takes an average of 13 years from first presentation to diagnosis, fairly obviously mania can be a factor in drug use (problematic or not), and in bipolar patients SSRIs are counter-indicated as they can indeed "send you manic".

I am not a doctor nor a psychiatrist, so I cannot say that one medication is "better than" another for your situation but one more thing to consider is whether you are looking for a medication on which you are happy to remain for as long as is needed, or whether you are looking to treat the present problem and see where you stand. Some medications (including many SSRIs) can take a month to start working; in most cases, you will be advised against using mood-stabilising medications pro re nata and rightly so. However, it is feasible (and potentially beneficial) to take a short course of e.g. quetiapine and taper off it again fairly easily when not needed; the same is reportedly true of mirtazapine. You might wish to discuss this with your doctor, i.e. can you use (whatever medication) in such a fashion, what happens when you wish to come off it, can you retain the option to go back onto it, etc.

For what it's worth, I've been prescribed quetiapine on exactly those terms (for bipolar disorder) and found short courses helpful in controlling the real extremes, but did not personally feel it is something I want or need to take long term. This may or may not be a consideration for you, but it is one that is worth considering in deciding on appropriate therapies.

Talking therapies can be extremely beneficial, but, CBT is perhaps more effective at addressing specific issues (arising from identifiably distorted thinking) than it is at addressing non-specific depression, anxiety or malaise; it also tends to be limited in scope and duration. Again with no certainty about what is right for you, I wonder whether person-centred counselling might be more accessible or useful than cognitive-behavioural therapy, based on your description of your needs. It may not be quite so readily available - more resource intensive - and you may be asked to try the CBT or self-help route first, but if these do not work or have not worked, please enquire about other forms of talking therapies, rather than conclude that talking therapies have failed.

I hope this is helpful. Remember, you are in charge of your own mental health (even if it doesn't feel like it sometimes) and you have the right both to seek appropriate therapies and to decline inappropriate ones. Recursively, if necessary. I hope that you find the support you need.
Thanks guys alot to take in here and some very usefull information .the bi polar question is interesting as when I read the symptoms it certainly rang a lot of alarm bells although it seem more medically induced than natural bi polar .

weburtan seems like it would be great but as i understand it it is only prscribbed for stopping smoking under the different name !

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter