• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Direct X 12 & Direct X 11?
Question 
I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 last month, stuck with it for about an hour then reverted back to Windows 7 because I don't like the tablet/app style appearance Microsoft is insistent on going with.

Anyway after reverting back to 7 I then decided to give 10 another chance. I've gotten used to it a bit more now, but still I prefer Windows 7.

The only reason I upgraded was A) it's free. and B) for DX12 support which was the main reason. It's frustrating that Microsoft have made DX12 a Windows 10 exclusive to push the sales of this OS though.

What are the chances of it ever getting supported on 7, none I imagine?

Right now for me personally I've noticed nothing new in terms of gaming, but that's to be expected I'm fine with that. But just how many years away are we until developers will be able to fully utilize DX12 to where it DOES make a difference to me, the gamer?

Any help appreciated.
If you sit in a bath of pineapple chunks, it can kill you. That's well documented.

1P-LSD elite fan. Bow Bow
the OS was essentially free but they want people on W10's new ecosystem.  Happened with vista for DX10 too.

No chance of 7 getting it (without hacks, at least).

Hardly any games are out that use DX12.  Ashes of the Singularity does and it's great (looking and performance wise, it's a boring game though) and I think a few upcoming games will support DX12, star citizen i think is one of the big ones.

You'll also need a card that supports DX12 properly... which current gen cards from nVidia don't very well (there's even performance HITS in some cases) and the current competative AMD ones that do will still be pretty obsolete and struggle with the likes of Star Citizen above 1080p
(30-04-2016, 03:40 PM)Renton Wrote: the OS was essentially free but they want people on W10's new ecosystem.  Happened with vista for DX10 too.

No chance of 7 getting it (without hacks, at least).

Hardly any games are out that use DX12.  Ashes of the Singularity does and it's great (looking and performance wise, it's a boring game though) and I think a few upcoming games will support DX12, star citizen i think is one of the big ones.

You'll also need a card that supports DX12 properly... which current gen cards from nVidia don't very well (there's even performance HITS in some cases) and the current competative AMD ones that do will still be pretty obsolete and struggle with the likes of Star Citizen above 1080p

Thanks Renton.

What I was thinking. I may revert back to Win 7 while I'm still within a month of upgrading.

There was/are graphical issues with Hitman under DX12 and IO released the latest patch this week it won't run on DX12, for now. Great!

What does Renton run, 7 or 10?

Well I has just gone back to Windows 7 Partydrink
If you sit in a bath of pineapple chunks, it can kill you. That's well documented.

1P-LSD elite fan. Bow Bow
I run 10.  I've had no hassles other than one application i used to use not working.  so i set up a VM, sorted.
Can't stand Windows vms, nasty necessity. keeping up with updates as the host is bad as reboots bring down the vms, but if your not on fibre arrays or ssds then the vms spend silly amounts of cpu and disk io and real clock just staying up to date.

Back on topic I prefer 10, find it less tablet crippled plus it has so many future benefits, dx12 like we started with but for example Internet Of Things variants. It's the future for consumer and some commercial/industrial aspects at last.

Have you made the effort to listen to your subconscious today? 'Your sake' breakz are as amazing as line times or pin mins.

Internet of Things might start with some security related fiasco. Read too many stories about badly secured devices (with hardcoded admin passwords for instance).

But that's a bit off topic. I assume that developers will only start using DX12 for real when the market share of pre W10 machines becomes marginal.
(01-05-2016, 07:10 AM)PsychMink Wrote: Can't stand Windows vms, nasty necessity. keeping up with updates as the host is bad as reboots bring down the vms, but if your not on fibre arrays or ssds then the vms spend silly amounts of cpu and disk io and real clock just staying up to date.

Back on topic I prefer 10, find it less tablet crippled plus it has so many future benefits, dx12 like we started with but for example Internet Of Things variants. It's the future for consumer and some commercial/industrial aspects at last.

I've had no issues with VMs and i've used them for years for a variety of things from running legacy applications to malware testing.  As long as your hardware supports virtualization (just about all recent hardware does) then the performance hit is only really noticable when you have too little ram on the host or when it's booting up.

No need to keep up with updates if it's not necessary to network it, if it is they're no issue to do as long as you're not the kind of person to leave it for a month between updates.

(01-05-2016, 10:39 AM)ronibb Wrote: Internet of Things might start with some security related fiasco. Read too many stories about badly secured devices (with hardcoded admin passwords for instance).

But that's a bit off topic. I assume that developers will only start using DX12 for real when the market share of pre W10 machines becomes marginal.

2nd most popular OS and the only Windows OS you should really be coding for unless you're writing specifically for XP, unless you want cross-platform play then you'll probably stick to oGL anyway. DX12-ONLY games will be a far way away, and DX on the OS is fully backward compatible, if you install W10 it doesnt mean you can't play a DX9 game.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter