• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Camellia Sinensis (Tea) + other xanthine containing plants
A note on oolong teas and medical use since on occassion tea has helped in an emergency:

I have some da hong pao, tieguanyin and some dong ding tea coming from china - these are good introductions to the world of oolong. Although it gets complex and amazing if you have money to throw at it these are good since you can get them quite reasonably priced if you know what to look for in the packaging on ebay - I'll try to get a photo up - if they are sold as a set of sealed packets with usually 7g a piece they are usually half worthwhile - these packet oft come in a fancy tin (sometimes just a plastic box) and may set you back only five or so quid for 50g.

Now onto something I touched on in the 1p thread - theophylline is a decent broncodillator but as I said above there is no useful botanical source but I read when I was young that tea was good for asthma and I have effectively used it so for decades; it can provide relief when the standard medications (which I rarely take) aren't providing decent effects.
I had a very heavy chest tripping recently which was causing a level of distress so stuck the kettle on - I did ponder the placebo effect which would have been reinforced by using tea this way for years but it helped so wasn't about to complain. Since I read this so long ago I did some new research and it still looks valid and useful information. I fancy that black tea works best - oxidation changes many chemicals in tea but not the xanthines so I maybe fooling myself here unless something else is at play, it has become habit that I reach for good old comforting black milky tea in times of respiratory distress. Coffee should have some effect two but I have never tried and probably won't although as I describe above the overall chemistry and effects of coffee are somewhat different. Be interested to hear from others.
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"
Like a cup of tea, black, green or White yet to get round to Oolong. Had no idea some of the Chinese and Japanese teas were so expensive. New study shows moderate Coffee consumption reduces risk of dementia by up to 30% and improves memory, so am currently enjoying a cup of Ethiopian Sidamo knowing it may be helping counteract some of my more unhealthy choices like continuing to consume benzos.
It's like most things - the sky is the limit if you have money - easy get into £1-200+ of pounds for 100g - not seen them much higher than that but the market is so limited anywhere I look isn't going to risk stocking it or even have access to it - they will go to highest bidder at auction. Some tea virtually money won't buy - they are gifted a government official level in China so unless they put it to auction. The first tea auction in Hong Kong a few years back a box of Narcissus oolong was expected to fetch up to $129,000 - don't the weight or what they got in the end but you get the idea. The Chinese government also reported got a cool $900,000 for some tea in 1998
First time I had earl grey was in Italy, asked for a cup of tea and got a lemony tasting tea an loved.

Twinnings early grey is good by some to vairy from box to box, some have a good flavour of lemon an some are not very tasty in the lemon department mostly like a normal tea

Liptins earl grey is good too but only have when on holiday on long with a packet of lays crisps lol
anyone drink twinnings fruit teas? lemon and ginger is the best, but they're all good
Only a brief mention of the oolongs? To me, half a dozen balls of monkey-picked unfurling in some off-boiling water has the complexity of a cuban cigar.

The other two tea-peaks i reckon are indian chai and hairy builder pg tips.
Coffee rules! Tea drools. Lol.
Never had good hot tea, just tastes like leafy water. Earl grey oolang green tea especially. Loved iced tea tho strong the summer morning Cools me down like ìced tea. ::-)
love the world and it will love you back. chin
Coca tea from fresh leafs but only if brewed correctly and without any sugar.
Tried it 15-20 years ago but just been getting into Yerba mate of late (with the benefit of knowing what I am doing) and although I have seen descriptions of it as like green tea, weak coffee and hay which sound perhaps not entrawling it was immediately quite nice; I can see how it could quickly become a happily aquired taste if used when you’re body is expecting some caffiene so though I would share a condensed version of info I have sought out piecemeal from many places :

It is of course one of the caffienated holly species hugely popular in Brazil Argentina etc. I have been unable to discover cultivars such as with tea and differences in flavour are more to do with processing which is less involved than tea. There is similar initial withering to remove excess moisture and it can be steamed or roasted heated. The other factor is the leaf and stem is sorted and added back at ratios particular to brands or local custom, stem adding sweetness as opposed to bitterness. It also undergoes a period of mellowing sometimes cut (time wise) with modern processing.

CHEMISTRY
So as above cocoa is primarily theobromine, coffee caffiene (as well as possible impact from harman, norharman) and tea caffiene and small amounts of theobromine and (as with all these plants at best trivial theophyline content) but important effects from L-theanine

Yerba mate; in addition to caffiene, something in the region of a third of the xanthine content could be theobromine so a likely (variable) higher ratio than tea; it similarly is a source of polyphenols

We’re drinking Pipore (was a pretty reasonable £2 for 250g from the local Asian mart/seems more online but won’t bankrupt you) which is meant to be a good starter Mate; there are some over complicated ways suggested to brew it if not done in a traditional gourd/metal straw (bombilla) - essentially if you add hot water and strain it after 3+ minutes you not surprisingly have a drink. Caffiene is obviously dependant on the amount used and usually comparable with tea/coffee but as a rough guide 5g of pipore (which is stem heavy)for a mug was a good starting point. Larger amounts are used in the traditional setting (over a period) but 5g seems good so far.
I used to drink Mate with a gourde and bombilla.  thumbup  Found it fantastic alongside a good kratom burn, really got a good sweat on, but that was in my early days of using kratom. Synergised beautifully for a couple of years.
Went off the taste after a while and threw it all away. (It was getting pretty old) Might try it again, it's cheap enough. Just need to familiarise myself with the process, i've forgotten how I made it lol.

Nowdays I'm drinking hemp tea (buds, leaves, seeds, its all in there) hoping for some cbd from it, but a little worried what toxins could be in the plant. Really enjoy the flavour. Not convinced I'm getting any cbd out of it, should be about 1%. Still drink coca tea occasionally, but they are pretty dried out leaves now and not as effective as when I had them fresh. Really numbing and confidence boosting at the time. Also used to quid the leaves, doubt that works now as I've had the bag for years. Kept forgetting I had it.

Also drinking some Pu-Erh Scottish Caramel from an ebay seller. Pretty tasty, a bit like coffee to my taste buds.
What I drink most often is Lidl decaf thumbup  Really like it as I avoid caffeine most of the time.
Going to keep trying various loose teas 1 purchase at a time, but I hate the perfumed Earl Grey type stuff.
I recommend getting a tea ball if you're only making one mug at a time. Easier than cleaning out a teapot etc. They can hold whatever herbs/teas you fancy trying.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter