• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Camellia Sinensis (Tea) + other xanthine containing plants
Yellow is a form of green tea which is kept damp to loose chlorophyll; it is pretty rare and I've only ever bought it 2 or 3 times. Oh I used to use Jing tea in London as well as Imperial tea, they have a yellow (hou shan) in at £10 for 50g which they call "50 cups" but they aren't talking mugs, your talking as they say <3g a serving. I have this it was nice - Imperial haven't had a yellow in for ages I don't think. You don't find good green tea at less than a tenner for 100g and the sky is the limit imo. Sounds a lot if your used to teabags but people will spend a tenner+ on a bottle of wine that lasts a couple of hours so it's all relative; make your you water is clean and pure once you start spending on tea - I have to be very careful with our local supply and we get distinct pockets of chloramination or perhaps other treatments that would ruin the delicate notes of decent tea.
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"
Are they online? live 200 miles from London and provincial towns are deserts of mediocrity. Love Coffee probably more than Tea  but ordering online is expensive with delivery, big fan of the south and central American ones and a nice French roast.
Broken Orange Pekoe is a lower grade used for teabags. OP1 is the highest grade.

(03-01-2015, 08:20 PM)Xochipilli Wrote: Found I had some not a all bad Clipper black tea bags. 
I haven't used the sites you mention Passiflora - if pollards are storing their tea in clear jar that would make steam come out of quality merchants ears - just how much clear jars will damage tea with a fast turn over I don't know. It should always be stored air tight to avoid taking on ambient flavours though.

Pollards are coffee merchants who also sell tea, no doubt they don't treat their tea right, but I can't find any good tea merchants.
I really like green tea, but I find it dull when brewed "correctly".

My favourite is when it leaves a sweet aftertaste but this only seems to occur when it is brewed for 5+ minutes at 80*C. It makes it bitter but that doesn't really bother me.
No you won't find very good tea in my home either; - like most things > online and swallow the postage;
http://www.jingtea.com/
http://www.imperialteas.co.uk/
jing=london imperial=lincoln
haven't found better merchants other than Fortnam and Mason and Harrods from whom I've had some very good tea which wasn't too expensive considering the quality and the cost of everything else there. A visiting relative got some Harrods tea bags (black) quite pricey for 20 bags and I actually wasn't too impressed with the flavour profile.

Allan - as you like it...I personally brew green hotter than recommended...bitterness/tannin depends on type, many have very little. 

Oolongs also worth a go; something like Tieguanyin is at the green end and usually has an almost lemony aroma to me (different types of this tea alone based on time and roast) other light oolongs fragrant or 'buttery'.

I have had a few decent teas from ebay; a lovely one off 50g longjing (iin fact the finest I've had)and I did find a vendor for some good oolongs but I be wary of ebay in general.
I could call into that shop in Lincoln. It's not the postage costs that bother me that much, I want to see what I'm buying. I'll try Pollard's first, it's closer, just wish there was a better tea shop closer to Sheffield.
In some ways I would have preferred a broader thread to include all the Xanthine containing ethnobotanicals since a thread for each wouldn’t get much traffic but I’d like to open up the topic of the chemistry of these drugs since the effects experientially vary and in this Camelia Sinensis seems pretty well prototypical with high amounts of caffeine and only small amounts of Theobromine and Theophylline. Cocoa is the one that majorly deviates being very high in Theobromine; it’s a shame that there isn’t a major source of botanical Theophylline since it is an effective bronco-dillator.; in fact it can be absent from some samples of some of the botanical Xanthine sources.

Anyway it’s a little quaint but I will start with a table from my rather old copy of The pharmacological basis of therapeutics: (afraid I can't find anyway to straighten the column through the edit function - won't tab or even let me put spaces in grrr)

Relative Pharmacological activity of the Xanthines

Caffiene             Theophylline                 Theobromine

CSN/Respiratory                        1*                        2                                   3

Cardiac Stimulation                   3                        1                                   2

Coronary Dilation                       3                        1                                   2

Smooth Muscle                           3                        1                                    2
Relaxation

Skeletal Muscle                           1                        2                                    3
Stimulation

Diuresis                                           3                        1                                   

Phosphodiesterase
Inhibition
Heart                                                2                        1                                    2

Brain                                                 1                        1                                   -

*1 = most active

The effects of these botanicals seems to vary somewhat and that is reflected in the chemistry.
As I said Cocoa is more a theobromine source. It can be absent from Coffee so it can be considered maybe a purer source of Caffiene. Coffee as served is generally a far bit higher in Caffiene than a cup of tea. Coffee also contains MAOIs.
Tea has psychoactive chemistry roughly in line with other botanicals but has the interesting addition of l-theanine which directly modulates brain function
What is it with you english folks and tea? I really don't understand it. Educate me, and what to buy if you will. Coffee is a good get up and go, but dosen't taste exactly great.

I'm only drinking tea if i'm sick. 2 large cups, with ½ camille and ½ rum in each. A good nights rest, sweating a lot. And then i'm fresh as an eagle.
Oink oink...
Very interesting Xo, What benefit if any does Guarana have over Tea/Coffee? Contemplating ordering a bit of decent French or Italian roast, Douwe Egberts do a half decent dark roast or used to: a black brick rather than usual loose bag all their Coffee is second grade but their ground is one of the better supermarket types. People will pay £2+ for a cup of starbucks but won't buy a £3.50 bag of Mocha or Java, Millicano is expensive but the best of the big brands and got 500g for £11 from Amazon which is what Nescafe costs some places but instant is never as good as ground and i would buy beans and grind them if funds allowed. Interest is piqued in trying a good loose black or green, have had Assam and Darjeeling bags its not the same but i think going on those Assam might be a good bet, no idea with Green but a non bitter sweetish one sounds nice and temperature and length of soak makes a big difference even in cheap bags with green; a bit too short and little taste a bit much and bitter.
(10-01-2015, 09:22 PM)acetlyblue Wrote: Very interesting Xo, What benefit if any does Guarana have over Tea/Coffee? Contemplating ordering a bit of decent French or Italian roast, Douwe Egberts do a half decent dark roast or used to: a black brick rather than usual loose bag all their Coffee is second grade but their ground is one of the better supermarket types. People will pay £2+ for a cup of starbucks but won't buy a £3.50 bag of Mocha or Java, Millicano is expensive but the best of the big brands and got 500g for £11 from Amazon which is what Nescafe costs some places but instant is never as good as ground and i would buy beans and grind them if funds allowed. Interest is piqued in trying a good loose black or green, have had Assam and Darjeeling bags its not the same but i think going on those Assam might be a good bet, no idea with Green but a non bitter sweetish one sounds nice and temperature and length of soak makes a big difference even in cheap bags with green; a bit too short and little taste a bit much and bitter.

Just like Kola I can't really think of any particular advantages of Guarana; when it first came out it was all marketing about being from the Amazon, natural and the like. It was also a coffee substitute and there was also an awful of of misleading stuff about it's Xanthine content - it wasn't caffiene but tetramethylxanthine (I think I saw this mentioned once or twice but this is decades back) or just vaguely hinted at it was chemically different to caffiene. Some of this may be due to confusion of naming conventions but either way it was cobblers, it's mainly caffiene so unless some major health benefit comes to light or you esp. like it's flavour I have to assume much is exotic 
health shop type hype. 

I've collected stuff on the botanical sources and on caffiene et al but didn't include percentages - for a start they fluctuate wildy in plants with variety* and environment and also often don't have much bearing on the final out comes; for example you would expect more caffeine by weight in dry tea than coffee but it is the otherway round as they are drunk.

*botanical type and what % stem/leaf etc - the idea that green tea has less caffiene then black isn't terribly valid since oxidation does not create caffiene.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter