• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Alprazolam (Xanax) harm reduction and comparison to diazepam and etizolam
I guess indeed a lot depends on why people take these. Therapeutically or for the buzz.

One girl I know took etizolam for the buzz and was through 50 of them in no time. She realised it was not for her (she actually wanted to take them for sleep which helped a lot too). Her GF took them for sleep and did so infrequently and had zero problems.

Xanax is used as etizolam is but I think it is rarely precribed for sleep. You get Midazolam or so in all likelihood. I can imagine that someone who is on edge most of the time whether it is etiz or xanax both are a good way to redose too frequently.

From people I know who have used both, in the end, therapeutically they were essentially very similar. But it seemed that Xanax had a clear downside: rebound anxiety which I did not hear about etizolam.

But both can be abused with very similar (not so good to my mind) outcomes...
Xanax is commonly prescribed for sleep in the US. Can see why too.

Midazolam is rarely used outside of hospital settings in both the US and UK.

Interestingly I got more rebound anxiety from etizolam than alprazolam. I've found alprazolam to be more gentle than etizolam despite most people claiming the opposite. The absolute worst benzo for rebound anxiety IME is clonazepam. But it's all down to individual body chemistry.

But yes your intentions for use and your personality are really the most important factor. If you go in for the buzz I can certainly understand why alpraz is dangerous.
Who the fuck is Psychoactive Substances Bill and why is he taking all my drugs?
(21-06-2016, 04:46 PM)WeAreScientists Wrote: Xanax is commonly prescribed for sleep in the US. Can see why too.

Midazolam is rarely used outside of hospital settings in both the US and UK.

Interestingly I got more rebound anxiety from etizolam than alprazolam. I've found alprazolam to be more gentle than etizolam despite most people claiming the opposite. The absolute worst benzo for rebound anxiety IME is clonazepam. But it's all down to individual body chemistry.

But yes your intentions for use and your personality are really the most important factor. If you go in for the buzz I can certainly understand why alpraz is dangerous.

Clearly depends where you live. In NL midazolam, temazepam for sleep. Xanax....quite a few in my familly are either psychiatrists or work in the same field but on another level. Never ever heard about it being prescribed for sleep. So it differs per country.

And things also differ per person. I am veyr much amazed how Clonazepam can cause rebound anxiety when used therapeutically (to be clear). It has a long halflife and that seems to be a good indicator of not getting rebound anxiety, but we are all different.
Yes it definitely depends on the country. As you might know the UK hardly ever prescribes alprazolam at all - it's not even officially on the NHS - while the US pretty much shovels it out to everyone. Meanwhile pregabalin is pretty much impossible to get for anxiety in the US while the NHS will easily put you on it for that purpose.

Temazepam is hardly ever prescribed in the UK because a few decades ago smackheads started injecting the shit. Shame because it's bloody amazing and a very effective muscle relaxant as well as a sleep aid. My mate is one of very few in the UK who has an NHS script for it.

And nitrazepam, while also rarely prescribed, is available on the NHS but not available in the US at all period.

It is pretty interesting to look at prescribing differences across different countries. A reminder that even medicine is not an exact science. What you get prescribed just depends on your local culture.
(21-06-2016, 05:33 PM)WeAreScientists Wrote: Yes it definitely depends on the country. As you might know the UK hardly ever prescribes alprazolam at all - it's not even officially on the NHS - while the US pretty much shovels it out to everyone. Meanwhile pregabalin is pretty much impossible to get for anxiety in the US while the NHS will easily put you on it for that purpose.

Temazepam is hardly ever prescribed in the UK because a few decades ago smackheads started injecting the shit. Shame because it's bloody amazing and a very effective muscle relaxant as well as a sleep aid. My mate is one of very few in the UK who has an NHS script for it.

And nitrazepam, while also rarely prescribed, is available on the NHS but not available in the US at all period.

It is pretty interesting to look at prescribing differences across different countries. A reminder that even medicine is not an exact science. What you get prescribed just depends on your local culture.

It would be  exact if our Chemistry would be far more identical. It isn't it. It is well known that by far the most testing of medication is done on  males and that females are on many occassions seriously affected in another (and sometimes detrimental) way by the very same substances...

But what is highly unscientific and right out retarded is that abuse by some leads to a ban on drugs. To summ it up: any dogma is installed to block sensible arguments  and tends to reject findings that are countering the now firm beliefsystem of a group. Dogma as antiscientific. Dogmatic being against benzo's  is shortsightened but what is worse is what comes before it: the fact that few can decide on what other equals (adult citizens)  should or should not be allowed to do with  their bodies. Especially in certain ways...

We need to get rid of dogma. In NL and other northern European countries we are on the right track from some perspective. That one huge dogma called religion....In Sweden and NL all religious people together now add up to....16% of the population. Yes, that includes Muslims of which people are oh so afraid from taking over...84% no longer believes in this. Great! But we have a few other dogma's we need to address...Being completely free to do with your body what you want, as an adult is one of those things to my mind.
Yes the anti-benzo dogma in the UK is simply ridiculous. It's not even based on medical evidence, the NHS and NICE are just afraid of being sued after a big case in the 90's. But as always prohibition is a failed policy and people will get their benzos one way or another.

More than that I think the taboo aspect makes people more likely to abuse them. Look at a real life example: pregabalin is easily prescribed and very euphoric and while it is abused in limited circumstances, it's far from a widespread problem. I believe if benzos were treated as pregabalin is, the situation with them would be similar. The fact they're seen as forbidden fruit makes them more tempting to the kind of people who want to get off their tits. And if the NHS won't give out benzos the black market will.
I found Alpraz much more user friendly and less problematic than etiz - 2mg of Alpraz was spot on - since it has a notable buzz that meant I didn’t feel any need to redose and I still had rational capacity; not claiming they are the same but etiz is like diclaz in that it is so subtle more seems a good idea. I think as little as 2mg of etiz is on the edge boarderline of total amnesia and uninhibited action for me; it’s a total brain wiper. Etiz and diclaz are the ones that have given me major blanks - learn to modify use accordingly - especially etiz; so easy to wake up with no recall and find pellets gone.  Other all mostly fine even clonazolam even1.5mg fine (over a few hours) total recall and rationality and flubromazolam. 
I wouldn’t let your guard down with Alpraz on the basis of my testament; it is so nice and no doubt problems lay just beyond 2mg (YMMV) - they were ”Ksalol” 1mg from Siberia; very pale blue and unscored if I remember right (a while back) This is making me miss Alpraz to be honest; doubt I’ll ever see these and probably shouldn’t be encouraged to use benzos - Have enough legal ones put side to end trips.
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"
Xo, for reference what's your benzo tolerance like where 2mg is a functional dose?
(21-06-2016, 11:17 PM)WeAreScientists Wrote: Yes the anti-benzo dogma in the UK is simply ridiculous. It's not even based on medical evidence, the NHS and NICE are just afraid of being sued after a big case in the 90's. But as always prohibition is a failed policy and people will get their benzos one way or another.

More than that I think the taboo aspect makes people more likely to abuse them. Look at a real life example: pregabalin is easily prescribed and very euphoric and while it is abused in limited circumstances, it's far from a widespread problem. I believe if benzos were treated as pregabalin is, the situation with them would be similar. The fact they're seen as forbidden fruit makes them more tempting to the kind of people who want to get off their tits. And if the NHS won't give out benzos the black market will.
Thousands of people didn't bring the biggest class action lawsuit in history for no reason. They still are prescribed to millions of people each year, and doctors/health authorities and pharmaceutical companies are still being successfully sued and made to pay out millions. Besides the high addiction risk, the harmful effects have been well observed and studied.

Benzos are also involved in a lot of polysubstance caused deaths. There are numerous charities and legal firms around for "victims of tranquilisers".Benzos aren't prohibited, they're just restricted, and it's not hard to see why. As for pregabalin, it's undergoing a lot of scrutiny right now and has been recommended for classification due to misuse as well as causing physical addiction when used long term.
Alcohol is the most common drug involved in polysubstance deaths and there are 140,000,000 alcoholics around the world, all that and it doesn't even have the significant medical benefits provided by benzodiazepines. Where's the lawsuits against breweries?

You miss my point entirely regarding pregabalin. It has at least the same risks as benzos if not more. If anxiety is on your medical record you can just ask for it and get a prescription. But it is not widely abused, there isn't an epidemic of pregabalin addiction sweeping the country. I am simply suggesting that the strict policies surrounding benzos are part of what makes them so widely abused because they're the forbidden fruit.

I also love the irony that we as a country are so strict with benzo prescriptions yet are perfectly willing to sell opiates over the counter.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter