• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

ACMD recommends scheduling ethylphenidate and 11 related drugs as class B drugs
Back in March 2015 the ACMD, responding to concerns raised by Police Scotland, requested that ethylphenidate and several related drugs should be placed under a Temporary Controlled Drug Order (TCDO) while they assessed the harms and considered whether the drugs should be added to the schedules of the Misuse of Drugs Act. The TCDO (by then expanded to include a further two substances) was remade in June 2016 for a further year.

Nearly two years since the initial TCDO was recommended and the ACMD have finally produced their recommendation for formally scheduling a total of twelve substances underl class B of the Misuse of Drugs Act.

The seven substances which have been under TCDO and are now very likely to be scheduled as class B drugs are:

Ethylphenidate
Methylnaphthidate
Isopropylphenidate
Propylphenidate
4-Methylmethylphenidate
Ethylnaphthidate
3,4-Dichloromethylphenidate

An additional five substances, which were presumably covered by the Psychoactive Substances Act, have also been included in the recommendation:

N-Benzyl-ethylphenidate
3,4-Dichloroethylphenidate
Methylmorphenate
4-Fluoromethylphenidate
4-Fluoroethylphenidate

Drugs covered under a TCDO have very similar status in law to those covered by the Psychoactive Substances Act - both criminalise possession with intent to supply, supply, production and import, but do not criminalise simple possession. The penalties associated with all of these legal statuses are also very similar. The main effect of scheduling these drugs is to criminalise simple possession.

It's expected that the government will follow the ACMD's recommendation and these 12 substances will be illegal to possess by 26th June when the existing TCDO will expire.

[Image: BOGnDZb.png]
It's nice to see the lapdogs back in line, and singing with gusto from the Tory hymn sheet again. Woof woof.
“If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on.” ~ Terence McKenna
The government have responded to the ACMD now, confirming (as expected) that they will be seeking to permanently schedule these methylphenidate-related drugs, as well as U-47700 and benzodiazepine/thienodiazepine NPS which were the subject of previous ACMD advice.
So it now seems pretty clear (to me) that the PSA was more aimed at future developments of new analogues , whilst stopping the ones legally available at the time , in their tracks , with a future scheduling planned.
More to come then , I guess , with psyches and empaths in the crosshairs.
Can't say I'm surprised , if not pretty disappointed , with this country's backward policy , in the face of an opposite incremental shift elsewhere .
Maybe. But the ACMD's interest in ethylphenidate and related substances started prior to the PSA and was prompted by Police Scotland rather than being driven by central government. I suspect that the other drugs the ACMD is currently providing advice about are work that would have happened earlier but was delayed as their attention and time was taken up with the PSA and the related forensic strategy. i.e. I don't think this represents an ongoing strategy so much as a holdover from work that was delayed.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter