• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A little worried about the long term effects.
I have chronic insomnia and been taking 1-2mg plus melatonin every night for a year. This is after kicking the crazy combo of rohypnol, oxazepam and zopiclone my doctor had me on. I was just a walking insomnia challenge to be solved to him.

I love the short duration of etiz, it doesn't affect my sleep negatively and no grogginess in the mornings. It doesn't seem to build a tolerance for me either, but I don't take it in the day. 

Most reports I see are from people taking it for anxiety or recreation, highers doses and also constantly redosing. I'd find it useful to hear from someone who takes it the same way that I do. Have you experienced anything negative? Is the WD the same regardless of how you take it?

I know the ban is impending and I can't do it forever. Will plan way ahead for tapering. Would like to be prepared for what I'm facing.
What do you mean every night? Yeah you can still get withdrawals(not sure beause you said melatonin in first sentence). But some people have been caught out dosing 2-3 times a week for sleep, others seem to go years and get away with it but I think most get hit in the end byt Gabaergic nd withdrawal. Learn to meditate, relax, practice sleep hygiene. Get all that right and if you're still not sleeping you may have a problem but i suspect most people are like myself and just not very disciplined when it comes to switching stuff off and doing my relaxation enough. Depends how much and for how long back on the withdrawal topic. Try tapering before ban if possible so you know what to expect personally.
A combo of rohypnol, oxazepam and zopiclone off your quack? Man they sound like they missed 30+ years of changing medical opinion on the matter. You have been using at max 2mg once a day which is in your favour but these things are a bit individual in how wd/rebound works; If etiz has been nightly for a year it would seem pretty likely stopping might entail at least some difficulty stopping so if you want out tapering would be the best safest option for sure.
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"
Yeah 1-2 etiz every night, more than a year. No withdrawal in the day and I dont have anxiety. 

Thanks for the advice. I think I have a 40 hour body clock and a lot of adrenaline. I'm burning as much off with exercise as I can, but some stuff like running makes even more! 

Meditation doesn't work on me since I don't think using my conscious mind. It's totally blank in there anyway, maybe a few tumbleweeds.  My subconscious deals with thinking. I just get this aawareness of understanding when something clicks or a problem is solved. I don't process information in words at all.

I tried hypnosis after reading your advice, of course I had the standard attitude that it will never work on me. Works like a dream! Going to pursue that as an alternate method. Thank you

(08-04-2016, 09:13 AM)Xochipilli Wrote: A combo of rohypnol, oxazepam and zopiclone off your quack? Man they sound like they missed 30+ years of changing medical opinion on the matter. You have been using at max 2mg once a day which is in your favour but these things are a bit individual in how wd/rebound works; If etiz has been nightly for a year it would seem pretty likely stopping might entail at least some difficulty stopping so if you want out tapering would be the best safest option for sure.

This was around 10 years ago, when I was living in Sweden. The doc kept trying other meds and just staring at me in shock when I walked in the next day without any sleep. After that it was a mission for him. Can't believe I ever managed to get off that combo.

The worst to get off, surprisingly, was the zopiclone. I got it down to half  a 7.5mg every other night, but any less would result in insane itching all over my body! Weird one. 

Pushed through that last obstacle with a 3 day bender with some friends. Probably not the smartest way, but by the time I slept, the itching was gone.

I hope tapering of etiz will be like the other benzos, just a "sad to say goodbye as I cut you down to nothing". I do miss the roofies! So dreamy.
(09-04-2016, 12:23 AM)Azcat Wrote: Yeah 1-2 etiz every night, more than a year. No withdrawal in the day and I dont have anxiety. 

Thanks for the advice. I think I have a 40 hour body clock and a lot of adrenaline. I'm burning as much off with exercise as I can, but some stuff like running makes even more! 

Meditation doesn't work on me since I don't think using my conscious mind. It's totally blank in there anyway, maybe a few tumbleweeds.  My subconscious deals with thinking. I just get this aawareness of understanding when something clicks or a problem is solved. I don't process information in words at all.

I tried hypnosis after reading your advice, of course I had the standard attitude that it will never work on me. Works like a dream! Going to pursue that as an alternate method. Thank you

(08-04-2016, 09:13 AM)Xochipilli Wrote: A combo of rohypnol, oxazepam and zopiclone off your quack? Man they sound like they missed 30+ years of changing medical opinion on the matter. You have been using at max 2mg once a day which is in your favour but these things are a bit individual in how wd/rebound works; If etiz has been nightly for a year it would seem pretty likely stopping might entail at least some difficulty stopping so if you want out tapering would be the best safest option for sure.

This was around 10 years ago, when I was living in Sweden. The doc kept trying other meds and just staring at me in shock when I walked in the next day without any sleep. After that it was a mission for him. Can't believe I ever managed to get off that combo.

The worst to get off, surprisingly, was the zopiclone. I got it down to half  a 7.5mg every other night, but any less would result in insane itching all over my body! Weird one. 

Pushed through that last obstacle with a 3 day bender with some friends. Probably not the smartest way, but by the time I slept, the itching was gone.

I hope tapering of etiz will be like the other benzos, just a "sad to say goodbye as I cut you down to nothing". I do miss the roofies! So dreamy.
Not sure if I understand your comments re: meditating and your conscious mind? Do you mean you're unaware of any thoughts? You can meditate on anything at all, inside your body(sensations, feeling of your bodyt moving with breath etc) or outside the body(ie. stare at a candle). Up to you of course. I'm just saying because most people who say it doesn't work only seem to have tried a couple of times, whereas at a rough estimate I would say you need to have done it for 3 months daily before you can say that with certainty. That isn't to say it'll take three months to get that any effects for everyone, just that they will by then be much more noticeable. It's like going to the gym, you wouldn't expect to look like Arnold after a single session and for the first few weeks you may not feel much of a change. But if you compare after three months you should see a definite change. I guess it's not a great analogy as the changes with meditation aren't as noticeable from the outside. Anyway will stop harping on about it. Hope the hypnotism works well for you.
I take clonazepam everyday, and i actually in the past noticed a few times that after switching to etizolam i could just stop taking it and i was completely withdrawn from benzos, etizolam has been proven to have much milder withdrawal then other benzos and perhaps im alot less sensitive.
I had the wrong idea of what meditation is. I thought it was just methods to clear your mind of thoughts. Thanks Steve. 

I think my hypnosis is more of a guided meditation now that I think about it. I've been doing it for about a month and it has already helped me a lot with sleep and getting rid of stress. Definitely good advice to help with insomnia.

Alias, really good to hear you found a way to get out of the clonazepam habit. The more I read, the more I realise what a large variety of effects people get when they stop taking etiz. It's almost like roulette.
I also use or used them for sleep a lot. Compared to most benzo's, they keep the sedating aspect much longer, it's the one that goes away the fastest together with muscle relaxation ... I could do 2mg etizolam daily, mostly skipping the weekends without a rebound insomnia.
With other benzo's it's closer to a week and they lose effect for sleep.

Aside from some experimentation when I encounter a new benzo, I don't use them for recreational stuff.

I never had troubles with benzo's. I use them as sporadic as possible. Followed courses in meditation and mindfulness,
do more exercise, eat healthier. And switched most medications for supplements, mainly 5HTP for sleep, tyrosine and magnesium.
Also more adaptogens, ginseng and ashwaganda.
I have ADD and periods of severe insomnia. But the medication, and constantly having to go to the psych etc ... just not worth it.
But it helped me a lot, before I was undiagnosed. Benzo's helped me to overcome my anxiety's, dextro-amphetamine helped me a lot,
to learn how to manage my ADD related problems. Then again, hard to meditate when a hostile take over is taking place, phone calls 24/7,
meetings in backrooms of backrooms. Then I welcome a benzo ... and some long walks with my moms :P
(10-04-2016, 11:27 AM)Azcat Wrote: I had the wrong idea of what meditation is. I thought it was just methods to clear your mind of thoughts. Thanks Steve. 

I think my hypnosis is more of a guided meditation now that I think about it. I've been doing it for about a month and it has already helped me a lot with sleep and getting rid of stress. Definitely good advice to help with insomnia.

Alias, really good to hear you found a way to get out of the clonazepam habit. The more I read, the more I realise what a large variety of effects people get when they stop taking etiz. It's almost like roulette.

Meditation to the highly trained can create fully lucid DMT strength trips. Powerful stuff. I'm
Struggling to get the basics, the breathing and shutting off the mind.

This is me shutting off my mimd-

"so am I not thinking anymore? Nope, not thinking. that's it my head is clear! I have no thoughts! Does thinking about no thoughts count? I wonder if I'm doing this right, what's for dinner, I'm tired. How long do I have to have no thoughts before it works. Haven't walked the dog but I'm not thinking about that. Is this a silent mind? I don't think I'm doing it right! What's 134 X 1134.

LOL

I know it's more about ownimg those feelings and letting go from attachment but my mind goes overdrive when I try to quiet it.

(08-04-2016, 01:57 AM)Azcat Wrote: I have chronic insomnia and been taking 1-2mg plus melatonin every night for a year. This is after kicking the crazy combo of rohypnol, oxazepam and zopiclone my doctor had me on. I was just a walking insomnia challenge to be solved to him.

I love the short duration of etiz, it doesn't affect my sleep negatively and no grogginess in the mornings. It doesn't seem to build a tolerance for me either, but I don't take it in the day. 

Most reports I see are from people taking it for anxiety or recreation, highers doses and also constantly redosing. I'd find it useful to hear from someone who takes it the same way that I do. Have you experienced anything negative? Is the WD the same regardless of how you take it?

I know the ban is impending and I can't do it forever. Will plan way ahead for tapering. Would like to be prepared for what I'm facing.

Tapering is out side my knowledge. But the things you use for, seems like like you could retrain your body and mind to find its own equilibrum and get past insomnia without heavy meds. Way I see it any process that is out of the ordinary like insomnia, it's about rebalancing aspects of your life that will allow calm restful states to develop and you find yourself naturally sleeping much better. Not that simple but with a little investigation you can find what it is and get your body balanced out in all aspects including your work social and sleep life. These issues are western living created, we try to western medicate and the cycle continues. Need to tune back in and work with nature and help find balance that way. You should try a sad alarm clock they are very effective at regulating sleep/wake hormones we would naturally get if we went down and rose to natural light outside like our bodies are built for. Birds never sound off when they're signing in the morning, they're in tune amd on time every day yet they don't own clocks. It's us humans that's all out of sync with everything! I Challenge all imsomniacs to camp in the woods, no electronics and see how they feel. See how much of these things are from being disconnected from somethings you subconsciously deep down crave. Next time you can't sleep go out bare foot and run in the wet grass, along a beach if you're lucky enough - see how different you feel.

Back at home you should remove your electronics from the bedroom and not use your phone for 2 hours before bed. The cool blue wave EM is know to wreak havoc on your sleep. Create routines. It's huge part psychological. Make routines that force new behaviour. Also don't plan, go with the flow! A plan leads to failure. Good Intentions lead to gradual changes for the better. As someone who doesn't suffer insomnia I've used sleep deprivation theraputically very effective, wondering if there is an opposite version for insomniacs.....
"I am not only touching the Sun... I am the Sun... We are one"
I've found there is no tolerance build up to the sleep educing effects of Etizolam.

You WILL have withdrawal though as you've been taking it for a year every day.

You say 1-2 mgs a night for a year so you should easily enough be able to taper to 1mg. Do that for a month until you are steady...then half on every other day (sticking to 1mg on the alternate days) until your steady....then half every night until your steady...then half every other night until your steady....you should be free to stop then.

The problem is you need to find a substitute for your insomnia as having no sleep is going to exacerbate/exaggerate the withdrawal.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter