• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1P-ETH-LAD (200ug) + 3-MeO-PCP (10mg insufflated) - Fried Video Card Glitch Universe
Rainbow 
I tried 1P-ETH-LAD (200ug oral) and 3-MeO-PCP (10mg insufflated). I found the experience fascinating, disorienting and while nothing bad happened, I thought there were signs there in the experience that were worrying enough to warrant taking a reasonably cautious approach these kinds of combinations with caution (for me, certainly, should I ever have the opportunity and desire to try a similar mix of drugs in the future).

I don't have a specific timeline, although I know I dosed both the 1P-ETH-LAD and the 3-MeO-PCP in close succession. I'd tried both before on multiple occasions and at higher doses. I consider that a basic safety consideration - to take a chemical as a higher dose than you've experienced before means you can only make assumptions about its likely effects. A single substance taken alone at doses that are sensibly small increases on the doses you've experienced before allows you to have a reasonable level of confidence in your expectations. But if you then add something extra, it becomes harder to accurately predict the effects you might experience and that increases the risk of harmful effects that you expose yourself to. One of your likely expectations before exploring a new combination is that the effects in combination will be very unlikely to cause you physical harm (and if you don't have that expectation, why are you taking something you think may be dangerous?). It''s never possible to be completely certain and it's important to remember and accept that every activity has some level of risk.

Sometimes drugs aren't additive and you feel the effects of the two drugs happening separately but at the same time. Sometimes one drug can cancel or reduce the effects of the other, providing a less rewarding experience than if only one had been used. On other, usually more rewarding, occasions, you may find two drugs interact in interesting and unexpected ways to produce entirely novel effects (hopefully benign) that are not present in either substance consumed alone (Orally DMT is an example, where there are very few effects unless the drug user has previously dosed with a medication called a mono-amine oxidase inhibitor. With that second drug in place, the DMT is able to persist in the body for much longer because it is no longer being broken down by the enzyme that processes it (the enzyme n question being, of course, mono-amine oxidase).

I'm an adult and I'm entirely capable of evaluating the risks and potential rewards of the things I choose to do with my time. Like most people I attempt to avoid or mitigate the risks I knowingly expose myself to via the interests and recreations I pursue. For my part, prior to trying this combination I had taken both drugs without involving other substances. With 1P-ETH-LAD, I had tried a handful of combinations with other psychedelics, but only once with a dissociative, I had slightly less experience with 3-MeO=PCP but had still taken it on several occasions and at higher doses than I would be using for the combination. I had also read enough reports to see no serious risks to the combination I was planning to try. Even so I was aware that risk is always present when using drugs (andindeed, when carrying out almost activity) and risks tend to be higher when using multiple drugs at the same time. But I'd thought through the risks I could see and had taken reasonable steps to minimise that risk, through knowing myself and my usual responses to the substances, through deciding on doses that were well within my range of experiences, through being reasonably certain of the identities of my chemicals by using reagent tests to presumptively confirm that what I was intending to use was, in fact, what I believed it to be. I had a safe and comfortable space where I was not likely to be interrupted and no commitments that I should be engaged in rather than pursuaing my unusual but (to me, at least) rewarding and interesting hobby.

[Why say all this about my thoughts around safety? I think experience reports are useful for sharing information about our experiences with drugsand for me, thinking through safety and risk are certainly a part of that experience. I learned a lot from reading sites like Erowid that talk extensively about the safety and risks of drug use and that safety-focused culture helped me to keep myself safer and avoid hurting myself along the way. I'm sure many people who read this will have similar thought processes when it comes to their own drug use. My intention here is to attempt to have my writing reflect a reflective, thoughtful and risk-aware approach, within the culture of safer use I've benefited from and hope others may also find such discussion useful or helpful.]

My own personal experience with doses of the two drugs I was considering a combination of was the basis of my choice of dose. I'd previously found 300ug of 1P-ETH-LAD to be a fairly intense experience and 3-MeO-PCP worries me at higher doses due to the tendency towards manic thoughts and poor judgement in decision-making. However, I've also had some very interesting and positive experiences combining psychedelics and dissociatives. I was particularly impressed with 1P-LSD in combination with ephenidine and after slowly testing the waters with series of escalating doses I ended up trying a combination at a fairly high dose that comprised 1P-LSD (400ug), 1P-ETH-LAD (100ug) and ephenidine (150mg). I would not recommend or suggest this is a safe or sensible combination and I'd describe it as quite a challenging experience but it was certainly involving and exciting. It was also fairly close to being overwhelming and was as far as I cared to push the doses of that particuar set of substancese.

Ephenidine and 3-MeO-PCP are fairly different dissociatives, both chemically, but also in effects. 3-MeO-PCP is far more potent, seems likely to present a higher risk to the user, and has a real stimulant push to it that I feel safe in assuming contributes to its known pro-manic effects. It's more overt than ephenidine in its visual aspects in my experience, though ephenidine certainly has some visual effects of its own. The combination of lysergamides and ephenidine seemed to retain an primarily LSD-like profile of visual effects, with the ephenidine contributing a characteristic smoothness and sense of flow. The ephenidine expanded upon the lysergamide's visual symphony, arranging it into something different, less controlled and immersive, it was a remix, still recognisibly lysergamide among the embellishments. In contrast, the visual effects of the more recent 1P-ETH-LAD/3-MeO-PCP combination were much more fundamentally altered from the kind of visuals I've experience with 1P-ETH-LAD. There were recognisable 1P-ETH-LAD elements throughout, but it was a motif running through the symphony, not the symphony itself. Here the elements of the combination were more than just additive - the experience was transformed by the interaction of the two instruments employed.

As experiences diverge further from normal modes of perception, it become increasingly difficult to describe them in a way that makes sense. Our language is designed for descrbing the experiences that form the experiences of our usual umwelt - the shared model of the experiential world that most of us experience most of the time. This description is not entirely accurate, but it's the best I can do: It was like living in a universe where the video card rendering the world's graphics as projected from my field of vision was on the edge of failure, not dead and unresponsive, but stressed to a point just short of crashing. As it struggled to cope with the constant errors, the malfunctioning electronics had introduced constant and ubiquitous glitching and artefacting to the display. There was a sense that my brain's visual processing wasn't simply altered by the combination of drugs, but that its
basic functionality had been disrupted in some fundamental and weird ways. It could have been alarming - the dissociatives I've tried have visual effects but nothing quite like this.

With the more visual dissociatives I've experienced, I get increasing visual noise, progressing to an 'emptiness' (not plain darkness, certainly not light, nothing that presents as a pattern or colour or anything - it feels like visual silence), which begins out in the far periphery of my vision, and depending on dose, expands inwards. But before the emptiness of the early stage of dissociation takes over completely, more interesting visual effects take over, similar to a psychedelic, but distinct. At a high enough dose, a similar process happens to my sense of hearing with sounds from the world outside my head becoming increasingly distorted and hallucinated sounds from the world inside my head starting to be heard. These are often electronic-like beeping or sine-wave like tones, varying in pitch.

Psychedelics look different and while there's a lot of variety between the visuals of different psychedelics, there are also many commonalities. Form constant visuals are ubiquitous across visually active psychedelic drugs. These are the tunnels, webs and spirals, which are a common feature in psychedelic artwork. These are seen across so many substances because they're a consequence of the way neurones are connected in the visual cortex. The patterns are formed by waves of activity moving across the neurones. Just as when you watch a crowd in a stadium perform a mexican wave and can see the way the crowd has organised itself - the wave reveals how the crowd has organised itself into co-ordinated activity. A mexican wave moves horizontally across the people in the crowd, not vertically nor diagonally, it travels smoothly and continuously (at least until enough people stop participating). Just as the underlying organisation or connectivity of a crowd - the way that people respond to their neighbour's movement, taking that signal and passing it along to the next person in their row - is revealed by the wave that moves around a stadium, the visual cortex's underlying organisation is revealed by the waves of activity that a psychedelic drug induces. Part of what you see when you take a psychedelic drug is the underlying neurological organiation in your visual cortex. The patterns produced by psychedelics reveal details that are normally hidden - you get a glimpse of your own perceptual mechanisms.

That's true of 1P-ETH-LAD, but as well as the ubiquitous form constants, my experience has been that it tends to feature finely detailed, somehwat busy visual effects that remind of of cellular automata. This contrasts with the large-scale, sometimes more cartoon-like visual effects of 1P-LSD (and of LSD itself). If LSD is pop art, then 1P-ETH-LAD is an intricate sketch in fne-lined ink, verging towards architectural elevation. I think both have their charms and find it fascinating that two such varied sets of visual effects are the result of a single carbon atom which extends the N6-methyl chain of 1P-LSD to the N6-ethyl chain of 1P-ETH-LAD (and though we're talking about the 1-propionyl analogues here, the change differentiating LSD from ETH-LAD is precisely the same).

In this experience, combining 1P-ETH-LAD with 3-MeO-PCP, the fine detail and grid-like structure, and their internal patterning and symmetries that are so familiar with 1P-ETH-LAD for me were disrupted by the dissociative effects of the 3-MeO-PCP and the world took on a rather scrambled, even jumbled appearance. Chaotic fractal repetitions and recursions of forms would emerge in some part of the visual field, evolve and convolve for a few moments, before collapsing into a new grid-like chaotic texture. The process of chaotic emergence, recursion, evolution and catastropic reversion into chaos would repeat again and again. It was a little disorienting - I'm normally able to make sense of things like text on a computer screen when under the influence of those kind of doses of lysergamides or dissociatives and I don't recall any similar difficult when under the influence of the other disso/lysergamide combinaton I've experienced. But with 1P-ETH-LAD and 3-MeO-PCP it was next to impossible - everything was too chaotic and glitched up. With concentraton it was possible to make sense of things like music and video controls, but it felt challenging and needed an effort of thought to reason out what I was seeing and how to relate it back to the real world. Although the visuals were intense and in many ways confusing, navigating the physical world was surprisingly free from impairment. Although I couldn't consciously make a lot of sense of the visuals that I was actively seeing, I did not find it difficult to move from one room to another, locate a glass to pour a drink, or to use the bathroom when needed. If I had to step over objects, I did not need to identify them as obstacles in order to know I needed to avoid them (and successfully do so without any unsteadiness or uncertainty).

This visual effect and the contrast with visually-derived knowledge about the world seems quite interesting from a neurological standpoint. The areas of the brain that interpret visual signals from the eyes and present a three-dimensional scene that we think of as 'seeing' are not the only pathways that visual information takes when it travels from the retina to be processed by the brain. There's a phenomenon known as blindsight in which people who are apparently blind and are not conscious of having any ability to see (usually due to damage to the primary visual cortex) are nonetheless able to describe some features of objects presented to them (shapes, orientation of edges, direction of movement) without being consciously aware of 'seeing' them. People affected in this way do not know how they know these facts and often reject the idea that their successful descriptions are anything other than lucky guesses.

Clearly, the combination of drugs I'd taken had not produced blindsight itself: I was still aware of my visual faculty and I could certainly still see, But my visual sense was significantly disrupted and the visual information I was conscious of seeing were confusing and lacked the usual level of relevant knowledge that a person gains from looking ta something. While not blindsight, my guess is that something related was happening and visual information I did not have direct conscious access to at that point was still available to me, probably via the regions of my brain concerned with space, movement and navigation. The combination of 1P-ETH-LAD and 3-MeO-PCP had resulted in significant and disruptive effects interrupting the normal operation of my visual cortex (in ways that, based on my prior experiences, neither drug seems to do alone). Yet this combination had few if any effects on other areas of my brain that were more concerned with making sense of space, physical orientation and movement than with constructing a visual representation of the world. Much of that information was consciously known: I knew where to move to avoid an obstacle even if the obstacle appeared like a jumble of refracted patterns that bore little relationship to its actual appearance.

It was a fascinating state to explore and while surprising, I did not find it frightening at all. I watched some videos on my laptop during the trip and while the images were only semi-comprehensible, the sense of the scene and my emotional responses to what I was viewing were not impaired in anything like the same way - in fact there was a heightened emotionality and intensity - an effect that I've experienced on my prior 1P-ETH-LAD experiences. Sound underwent similar transformations and distortions and the sense I could make consciously from spoken words and music was limited (though less so than the much more emphatic disruption of my normal visual sense). It seems to me that during the experience, my perceptual hardware was functioning, but the layers that process raw experience into sensical conscious representations were significantly disrupted by the addition of the 3-MeO-PCP alongside the psychedelic. Other systems were less effected and altered in ways very much more consistent with 1P-ETH-LAD alone. For example I found that I had somewhat enhanced recognition of emotional expressions (both the visual stimulus provided by representations of faces (both still images and videos), and audiably from the emotional content of music or as subtext in speech) and that was presented at a conscious level. I would have found it hard or impossible to identify the specific aspects of these things that generated that emotional understanding, but that link was not needed to feel certain of their truth and accuracy.

Throughout I was aware of this dichotomy. I felt completely screwed up in one way - my direct perceptions of the world were far more chaotic and incompehensible than I can recall with any other drug-induced experience, while at the same time, I felt unperturbed and even enhanced in my sense of self and mental integrity, secure in my positive emotional responses to the experience. 3-MeO-PCP has, when I've taken it alone, provided a particular kind of borderline-hypomanic confidence and sense of control and that was also present, possibly propping up the sense of wellbeing and enjoyment that pervaded the trip.

I'd noticed before that this feeling of confidence could lead to a loss of good judgement by attenuating any feelings of risk when contemplating potentially hazardous actions. Nothing alarming had happened previously, just signs that something along those lines was going on. On one occasion, I answered my phone while still very much affected by the drug (something I almost never do - I don't like to involve other people in my drug experiences and don't want to expose myself as a drug user if I sound weird on the phone to people expecting to talk to someone residing in the same consensus reality as them; the effort of sounding 'normal' also feels stressful and outside of an emergency or if I was sure I was very close to baseline, I'd never normally choose to engage with the outside world). On that occasion, I was still strongly affected by the drug and while I handled the call without incident (it was a marketer or scammer trying to interest me in something to do with online share trading and I ended the call quickly), I was struck by how my normal, rather more sensible and cautious attitude towards decision-making was discarded and overridden by a sense that I was completely capable of handling anything and that everything was and would be fine. On that occasions the risks turned out to be negligible, but I had no way of knowing if the call was from a friend, family member or someone else who might worry or whose opinion of me might matter and be changed if I sounded high on something. The lack of consequences in that instance did not obviate the potential (if relatively minor) risk of having decided against my usual inclinations and it left me with a sense that I should be cautious if sampling higher doses and keep an awareness during possible future use of 3-MeO-PCP or similar dissociatives that without an effort to consciously review my intended actions, I might inadvertently ignore more significant risks due to the enhanced sense of confidence and temporary/ devaluation of potential consequence.

And I experienced a similar decision play out during my experience with 1P-ETH-LAD and 3-MeO-PCP. I'd been waiting for some mail and wanted to check my mailbox. I live in a building where the mail is delivered to lockable mailboxes located in the building's foyer, so collecting my mail means exiting my flat and walking to and from a public area that people frequently transit through on the way to their own homes. There was no pressing need to check my mail at that time. It was about 4 hours into the experience and although the high intensity of the peak had subsided into something less chaotic, I was still heavily under the influence of the two drugs and probably not capable of passing for anything close to sober if I had to engage with the real world. I still had a significant (though less impaired) level of visual effect going on. Under normal circumstances I would not put myself in a situation where I might have to interact with people who might find my altered state of consciousness disturbing, frightening or worrying (I've signed for parcels and such while on the tail end of psychedelic experiences, but being slightly off baseline is a long way from being in the middle of a trip and I avoid timing trips when I know 'm likely to be interrupted by the real world while not in a comfortable state to deal with it smoothly). However, under the influence of the 3-MeO-PCP and the 1P-ETH-LAD and without any real reason to do so at that moment, I decided to check my mail. Twoo people entered the building as I walked past the door and to my mailbox. They did not look or sound like people to me at that point, their conversation all but unintelligible and their forms blending with the bicycles they were pushing to form what seemed like some kind of high-vis, biomechanical organism. I knew this not to be the case, but the feeling was as unsettling as the sudden realisation that I was definitely too high to be in the real world. Had I even dressed myself appropriately? A moment of paranoia hit as I wondered whether they could tell how far from everyday consciousness my mind was at that moment. But if they could sense anything unusual about me, they didn't show it and instead just continued out of the foyer and presumably to their flat or flats. This time round, the psychedelic, post peak but not much decreased in its level of activity, had induced a higher level of perceptual distortions and increased my level of emotional affect, which intensified the paranoia sparked by the unanticipated and unplanned need to pass relatively unobtrusively in full view of two of my neighbours in the middle of the day. They passed by without incident and, having found my mailbox empty and made my way back to the privacy and safety of my flat, I was once again left with the retrospective understanding that I'd discarded common-sense caution, and taken a small, but uncharacteristic unnecessary risk in response to the heightened sense of well-being and inhibited risk-evaluation of 3-MeO-PCP..

Like the answered phone, this second instance of uncharacteristic lack of caution was at most a mild lapse in judgement, but it may be worth noting that it appened while I was aware from previous experience that just this kind of impulsiveness was a risk while under the influence of 3-MeO-PCP. That knowledge hadn't mattered or seemed relevant when making the decision to risk the possibility of running into people who might find my use of mind-altering chemicals troubling (and though by far the most likely reaction to being identified as being a less than discreet drug is nothing more threatening than momentary disapproval, there clearly exists the potential for more opprobrious outcomes that would better be avoided). In itself, it was not the source of any problems for me, but it remains a concern around the use of 3-MeO-PCP and related dissociatives should I find myself exploring their effects again.

The effects of the combination of 1P-ETH-LAD and 3-MeO-PCP however were fascinating - an excursion into a kind of perceptual strangeness that I've not previously experienced, even given a fairly broad exceperience of perception-altering drugs. I'm unconvinced that there was much depth to the experience beyond that and for me psychedelics are usually a way to connect with myself and experience my world from a useful and often beautiful perspective. Those aspects felt lacking from the experience. I'm not sure that I'll plan to revisit the fried video card glitch universe again, but it was an interesting place to visit.

Reddit   Facebook   Twitter